Quote:

There will always be people on both sides of the fence and designs vary as well. But in the Stock classes, most small block racers do not use a tray. Not sure about big blocks, but they are somewhat different with "skirted" blocks.

Personally, I use a double-sided scraper. I always felt that an OEM style tray can actually trap too much oil. For as long as I remember, I always heard that the "windows" in the trays need to be opened up. Basically bending open the flaps more for drainage. I believe screens are better than trays because of the drainage area, but scrapers actually "scrape" the oil from around the crank to keep it from staying wrapped around it. A properly designed scraper and tray/screen can offer the most oil control. But it gets complicated and expensive.

More info on scrapers here:

Crank scrapers

Look at the environment changes from when a windage tray was designed to what we want to use them in.
Loose clearances add a lot of oil flow, rpm is much higher than stock creating a storm in the crank case that probably doubles the windage in the crank case at the minimum and goes through the roof on a max stroked, tightly confined space like a low deck stroker, which is also seeing the huge increase in piston displacement of air in the crank case.
My own experiences have shown that a b motor 499 doesn't like a screen/dragster pan at all, a side bucket pan with a big kickout helped a lot and reduced the tremendous amount of oil being forced out through the vacuum pump or breathers, and that a scraper combined with the side bucket pan and screen not only kept the oil out of the puke tank of the vacuum pump but stopped the problem I had with losing oil pressure when braking hard. So each increase in windage (rpm, stroke)and oil volume (big bearing clearances) adds to the problem.

8..603 156 mph best, 2905 lbs 549, indy 572-13, alky