Here is an outline of what I typically do after purchasing the car:

IMO THE most important thing is to do an inventory of your car and make a very detailed list of parts you need to gather and get them as fast as humanly possible, if it's a really rare part and easily damaged I'll often times buy two of them if the opportunity presents itself "just in case" something happens to the first one. I'd spend the money on original/NOS parts first because they will always be the most difficult to get, then I'd buy all of the reproduction parts you need. DO NOT wait until the last minute assuming they will always be available just because someone reproduced them, many of the reproduction parts you now see available for sale are one run parts, once the first run sells out you may never see them again!

Next decide on who is going to do what work in terms of restoration work on every componant of the car (myself or some outside shop) this will help you put together some budgetary baseline labor costs.

If you plan on doing work yourself make as large a space as possible, invest in the proper tools, storage containers, shelving, good digital camera, bags, tags, etc. before you tear into the car. Remember, most basket case cars end up being sold (at a HUGE discount) because some well meaning new owner tore it apart in his one car garage and scattered parts all over the place never to be seen again only to feel overwhelmed at the task of reassembling the car and bailing out.

Next make a detailed step by step plan of disassembling the car in order to get it to the painter. The paint and body is normally the biggest, most expensive, and longest process. I'd reccomend taking 10x as many close up and detailed photos of every square inch of the car as you think makes sense (and that's no exageration!) to ease reassembly, you will forget far more than you realize, good clear photos can be a lifesaver in recreating factory details.

As you dissasemble the car photograph as many individual assemblies and attaching hardware as possible, save the images to a disc or other and put copies of the pics (digital files or prints, whatever works for you) in the storage bags or containers with the components. Proper storage of a dissasembled car in an organized manor takes up A LOT of space, be ready for that!

Once the car is torn down and the body is at the restoration shop you can start in on getting the componants your removed restored one by one or send them off to the appropriate chosen vendors for restoration.

That is an extremely condensed version of what I'd do but it should get you started on the right path.

Golden rule #1 NEVER throw away ANY used parts of any kind until you are done with the car and SURE you won't need them! Also, NEVER toss ANY original production line parts (damaged. worn, or not) regardless of if you need them because they are always valuable as a historical reference tool.