Quote:

Quote:

I suggest just forgetting the COP setup and running a distributor. It will save you all this fabrication work and headache and I don't think will have any measurable difference in performance vs the COP system you are envisioning.

Yes, I'm considering doing just that - getting it going in "fuel only" mode (with the existing ignition system) at first, then looking at integrating the ignition later.

The downside to running the existing ignition system is that I see no way get the equivalent of ported vacuum to keep the vacuum advance working as it does today. But, with all the fuel only systems available today, someone has probably come up with a workaround that I haven't stumbled onto yet.

One other startup option is to run COP in wasted spark mode and to run the fuel in batch fire rather than sequential - both possible without a cam sensor.

Thanks,

Jim

Megasquirt can control ignition timing without doing COP. Take a lean burn distributor or a stock electronic ign distributor(with the advance locked out) and throw it on. Megasquirt can control your entire ignition timing curve. From the outside it will look stock - distributor, wires, etc, but it's all computer controlled. That's why I say I don't think you will see any difference between this and COP. Generally I would not suggest going through all the work to go EFI just to leave a mechanical/vacuum distributor there.