Met an original owner of a '69 440 GTX convertible last year that ordered the car in '69 but at the time he didn't have the car with him. He brought it up to a local cruise over the Labor Day weekend this year to show me it and one of the first things I noticed was he had the red Air Grabber (AG) open mesh screen/grilles. I didn't put two and two together until he opened the hood and then I remembered it was an A/C car and there is no way from what I know that a '69 A/C car could fit (without some modification) an Air grabber air filter base, filter and underhood duct work? He told me that was one of his only dissapointments when the car came in was he didn't get the Air Grabber system that he ordered he just got the hood grilles/screens. I know this person is telling the truth (has all of the paper work proof) that he ordered the car new in '69 and that he did order the Air Grabber. So over the weekend I went to Norwalk and run into a friend from my home town that has a fairly original '69 road runner hard top with A/C there and told him the story of the GTX vert and he reminds me of how I pointed out to him years ago that he also has the Air Grabber screen grilles, with A/C and no under hood duct work He also claims that they were there when he bought the car and the original owner also told him they were on there when he bought the car new.

So does anyone else have the Air Grabber grille screens without the AG under hood and filter base/filter on an A/C car (or even a non-A/C car) and knowS how long they were on the car or has anyone heard a similar "story" of AG screens without the AG?

The all original, all #'s B5 vert on the right in the photo is the car with the AG screens and A/C....the vert is loaded with A/C, power steering, power brakes, cruise control, power windows, 8-track player, bucket seats and console, A01 light package, Road wheels, 3.55 8-3/4 Suregrip, Torqueflite, tach, front and rear "bumperettes" and I probably missed a couple of things. Only 551 verts shipped and my GTX next to it is a 4-speed all #'s (with only 4004 shipped) sitting it a DQ parking lot all alone...pretty neat at the time