Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Its just smokey, fresh motor smells in no way of burning oil.
The guy who built the motor opened the dist up and changed the springs and has it set at 34* total.
Vac. advance is unplugged.

How do you know this when you haven't even put a timing light on it?

Why is the vacuum adv disconnected?

And imo rOBBx4406 KNOWS WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT, more people should listen to him.

Sometimes I wonder why people bother to offer up anything around here.

Some people don't even have an idea of why idle timing is important. It's been explained numerous times around here and the disaster in waiting that is mechanical advance. Hey, if you want your stuff to run based on bad info from a performance book written in the 70-80's, go for it!

Two words for likely what's causing the OP's issue... TRANSFER SLOTS.

If you don't get why the idle timing and the amount of transfer slot is showing, then you don't understand the relationship of the systems on the car.

And, NO, engines don't always pick up RPM when timing is advanced. It's about finding the efficiency point of the engine at idle. You'll run into limits doing this, namely starter issues. I'll bet this particular engine could run pretty good with 22 initial and 34-35 total all in by 2500.

Pick your way to skin a cat. Your way, IMO, may suck, but, it's still your way. Grab that MP manual and follow the rotten way to time it up. More, or likely, less power to you!

I agree.4 corner idle,adjust the fronts and the rear blades.