Quote:

I had disc brakes all the way around on all of the cars I've owned. However, all of them were newer than 1990. When I bought my Dart, I was kind of paranoid driving around in it thinking I have drums all the way around because it wasn't stopping as fast as I'd like. I always feared I would have brake fade and crash into the person in front of me. Later I found out I actually had 4 piston disc brakes in the front with the 9" drums in the back. So I'd definitely say, discs in the back is a big plus. When I work on brakes in my Dart I am going disc brakes all the way around.

on my 68 dart i used 73 disc brakes up front,then upgraded the to the 12" R body disc/rotors.

used 11x2.5 drums on the rear from a 73 newport. big difference over the 10" drums as far as stoping power,even with the small front disc, the 11x2.5 were noticably better.

i also used the 4 bolt to 2 bolt alum MC adaptor with a 79 truck alum MC for a manual brake 12" disc/11x2.5 drum set up.

I dont think disc on the rear would have been any better than that set up.

weighed a little more but stoping was killer with no brake fade when working them in heavy traffic. I ran drag skinnys and never had anytrouble stoping fast and they never locked up unless it was a panic braking moment.

I want rear disc on my 440 truck for the kool factor though.

IMHO,swap the 10s out for 11s and use a 2.5 wide drum/shoes

try stoping with a 68 Dart BB/727 and manual 9" drums at all 4 corners.