Quote:

I just had a conversation with my dad. He hired on at Chrysler in September 1965 at the Shadeland Avenue Plant in Indianapolis Indiana. His only job until April 1969 was testing power steering gearboxes for all the Chrysler products. After the test was done, he would hang the box from an overhead conveyor that went through a paint booth where they all got painted black. According to him, this was the way the line was until sometime in the early '70's when the EPA regulations made it too expensive to paint them. There were times when an issue might arise in the plant where processes were temporarily changed due to breakdowns. A possibility exists that if the paint booth had an issue that the paint process was skipped, but according to him, they had a way to place them offline until the line was going again.
There are obviously original untouched cars that have painted and unpainted boxes, so the best advice is to study the one on your car before restoration.

Learn something new every day...

....there is nothing like driving my 1968 Hemi Dart around town and having people looking at you like you're nuts!!