Moparts

P.S. box painted??

Posted By: His and Her 69's

P.S. box painted?? - 08/15/12 07:12 AM

Is the power steering box on my 69 lynch rd RR
supposed to be painted black or natural??
Posted By: His and Her 69's

Re: P.S. box painted?? - 08/16/12 04:33 AM

96 views and No Answers???
Anyone ???
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: P.S. box painted?? - 08/16/12 10:44 AM

black
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: P.S. box painted?? - 08/16/12 12:05 PM

Natural
Posted By: sunroof446

Re: P.S. box painted?? - 08/16/12 12:38 PM

Most everyone I have seen have been natural. The only one that I have seen black Is on my 70 charger st. louis bulid august of 69 but it is a factory show car. That might have something to do with it. I would say natural.
Posted By: BTTG

Re: P.S. box painted?? - 08/16/12 12:47 PM

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...&PHPSESSID=
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: P.S. box painted?? - 08/16/12 12:50 PM

I have a 1969 Charger R/T in the shop - SBD is July 4th 1969 and it was painted gloss black (not sure what plant)

Date on the box

Attached picture 7337313-steering-box-date.jpg
Posted By: RJS

Re: P.S. box painted?? - 08/16/12 03:13 PM

I used to believe they were natural but now I believe they should be Black.
I base this on friends car's that were restored by high end restoration shops and research over the years.

Did mine Black in my 69 and when mine returns from Steer and Gear I'll paint it Black for my 70 GTX.
Ron.
Posted By: drmopar

Re: P.S. box painted?? - 08/16/12 03:34 PM

They look nice in Natural powdercoat, but black is correct. I have a NOS unit in my 69 Convertible RR and it is black.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: P.S. box painted?? - 08/16/12 05:10 PM

You'll never convince me on either.I have two cars both with the original box and they are both natural cast.
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: P.S. box painted?? - 08/17/12 01:46 AM

Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: P.S. box painted?? - 08/17/12 04:20 AM

I have always gone black, now I can't go back!
Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: P.S. box painted?? - 08/20/12 01:34 AM

I just had a conversation with my dad. He hired on at Chrysler in September 1965 at the Shadeland Avenue Plant in Indianapolis Indiana. His only job until April 1969 was testing power steering gearboxes for all the Chrysler products. After the test was done, he would hang the box from an overhead conveyor that went through a paint booth where they all got painted black. According to him, this was the way the line was until sometime in the early '70's when the EPA regulations made it too expensive to paint them. There were times when an issue might arise in the plant where processes were temporarily changed due to breakdowns. A possibility exists that if the paint booth had an issue that the paint process was skipped, but according to him, they had a way to place them offline until the line was going again.
There are obviously original untouched cars that have painted and unpainted boxes, so the best advice is to study the one on your car before restoration.
Posted By: Paul Jacobs

Re: P.S. box painted?? - 08/20/12 03:15 AM

Dave,
What a wealth of information your dad could be to this board! Anyway, I agree most, if not all, were black. My thought is that like the sway bars & leaf springs, the boxes had an oily film on them that caused the paint to come off very prematurely-leading to the misconception they were bare metal. Having said that, I will never say never to a Mopar. I'm sure some got through without paint by a lazy employee.
Posted By: Troy

Re: P.S. box painted?? - 08/20/12 05:49 PM

Quote:

I just had a conversation with my dad. He hired on at Chrysler in September 1965 at the Shadeland Avenue Plant in Indianapolis Indiana. His only job until April 1969 was testing power steering gearboxes for all the Chrysler products. After the test was done, he would hang the box from an overhead conveyor that went through a paint booth where they all got painted black. According to him, this was the way the line was until sometime in the early '70's when the EPA regulations made it too expensive to paint them. There were times when an issue might arise in the plant where processes were temporarily changed due to breakdowns. A possibility exists that if the paint booth had an issue that the paint process was skipped, but according to him, they had a way to place them offline until the line was going again.
There are obviously original untouched cars that have painted and unpainted boxes, so the best advice is to study the one on your car before restoration.

Learn something new every day...
Posted By: 72ls5fla

Re: P.S. box painted?? - 08/21/12 10:13 PM

Not to intrude on the OP --
But does anyone know if the manual boxes were left natural or painted?

I think natural, but far from an expert here.....

If this is a silly question, sorry for asking..

Bill
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: P.S. box painted?? - 08/22/12 03:51 PM

Natural on manual boxes; read the thread linked in BTTG's post.

Dave
Posted By: copperSwinger

Re: P.S. box painted?? - 08/24/12 01:20 AM

Black in this 1970 Technicians Video. (interesting video too)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRD2_ln_8XM&feature=plcp

at 2:58 you can see paint drip lines indicating how the unit was oriented when painted too.

Hope this helps
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: P.S. box painted?? - 08/24/12 01:13 PM

That video is proof positive that the PS box was black. Doesn't get any more concrete that that. Thanks for sharing
© 2024 Moparts Forums