Quote:

. Would it help the battery to use a big amperage alternator.

Yes ideally you want to keep the batt topped off all the time and the only time it is draining (except for cranking) is when the alt cannot keep up with the demand and the batt fills in then at higher speed when the alt charges better or when the accessories are switched off the alt charges the batt back up thru the bulkhead circular route. This shortens the batteries' life over time Many options, the OE appearing 78 amp one from an 85? M body, there's the huge Mopar Leece Neville 100 amper which I think is only available with big block bracketry which may not look right in an open street rod then the pictured Denso alts which are reportedly good. Many prefer to run the alt directly to the battery which renders the ammeter inaccurate (the Madd bypass). I prefer to clean all connections and only bypass the 2 large main in/out brass terminals/wires on the bulkhead (fusible link in/out to alt) with Nacho's bulkhead bypass. If the ammeter is close to 12o'clock most of the time then excessive current is not passing thru the system/bulkhead & if I'm going to run alot of high powered accessories which would run thru the bulkhead then I'd relay then right from the source (the alt) which only increases the alts' duty cycle which you cant get away from & that's its job but most important it keeps the current away from the bulkhead/interior. Some of mentioned accessories would only be on for a short period of time, windows/seats

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth