Hi. I have a rebuilt 383 w/ a mild cam, stock 4 bbl intake and a 650 edelbrock carb w/electric choke. The carb has to be primed each and every time after sitting overnite or I just crank for 30 plus seconds. Once started, the motor will idle beautiful. No problems with warm up. DOES NOT TRY TO DIE when put in drive. No flat spots on exceleration. But when operated for 30 minutes or more, the motor starts to spit, splutter, and try to choke out only at low idle. Turn off motor, smell raw fuel. When I restart, motor does not want to start. (Electric choke is wide open. No problems w/choke) Have to press gas pedal half way to floor to finally get to start and I have to keep foot on gas pedal to keep motor running. Motor acts like its running on 4 cylinders. Read on Moparts about gas percolating in carb so I bought a half inch phelonic spacer. No change. So I bought a one inch spacer. No change. Tore carb apart. Checked float levels. They are perfect to factory specs. About ready to throw this EDELBROCK carb in garbage.

I once rebuilt a GM 400 and put a Carter AFB straight out of box. Had NOT ONE OUNCE of problems with the Carter. Tried to purchase a Carter AFB once again before purchasing Edelbrock I currently have but sadly found out I couldn't purchase Carter AFB's new anymore. Would love to hear from someone who has had similar problems and what carb did they change to to finally eliminate problems as I have mentioned. If changing back to Carter would eliminate this problem, I would search for a good used AFB or one to rebuild. Please help! Thanks, Joe