I am having a hell of a time trying to tune my vacuume advance can on my distributer. I just got my distributer brand new on thursday from don at FBO systems. Its a mopar performance distributer. I am running my vacuume advance off of ported vacuume, altho don told me i needed to run it off of manifold vaccume, i tried the manifold vacuume and just couldnt get it to run good. mainly idle...
I have my initial timing at 16 degrees and my total timing at 34 on a 300 hp crate 360 magnum. I have never tried to tune a vacuume advance can so i dont even know if turning the adjustment screw insie the vacuume can clockwise increases it or decreases it. In my mopar engines book it says i need 52 degrees total timing including the vacuume advance, but i have been told that with todays fuel 45 to 48 is better.
Somone please explain to me step by step what i have to do to get my vacuume advance tuned right. I know it is off because at light cruising speeds it is cutting in and out and and running crummy. but at half or wide open throttle it is great.
Do i hook the vacuume advance up and get my timing light out and just keep adjusting the adjustment screw in the vacuue can untill i'm reading 50 degrees total with the vacuume advance?