Having been one of the unlucky ones that have been pulled over,I've found that the issues are of federal regulations and apply to all states.The confusion is state and local interpatations of the federal regulations.The crack down over the past few years in Pa. was the result of accidents resulting in fatalities that occurred by vehicles that were towing trailers or equipment that were improperly hooked up or faulty trailers and equipment being towed.I have since been stopping at the weigh stations here in Pa. and have been waved through with out any issues.
The federal regs are too numourous to mention but the Gross Vehicle Combonation is the one that needs to be adhered to,especially if you pulling a tri-axle trailer or any trailer exceeding 10,000#.Most states do not view race rigs as commercial vehicles.Pa.DOT had to address the rash of accidents with fatalities.Keeping the highways safe should be any states first priority.Keep your equipment in safe working order and looking half way decent and you shouldn't have any issues.
I wouldn't be too quick to condemn any state,it can happen anywhere.Remember California and Nevada was enforcing the combo lengths a few years back and no one wanted to travel through those states either.
Stay as legal as you can and always ask for a hearing if you get stopped,the cops,DOT guys,and the courts are just as confused as we are.