Being a small budget racer over the years I have been gathering parts to step up with the Dart. It has been slow coming but the other month I had a major setback with the disappearance of my X-block motor.

The X-block motor has been a thorn in my side for years. That motor has a long history and saga behind it. Maybe it was not meant for me to have that motor. So I have mixed feelings due to the $$$ it cost me but it could have cost me more in other ways.

Now I am back to square one 10 years later with nothing to show for my efforts and money, I will be brushing off years of dust and oiling the jack stands.

Frustrated at starting over I thought about getting out of racing and selling the Dart.

I was on the phone with EvilB1Dart the other week and I mentioned I had to start all over again. I told him I was looking at the 1st Gen Hemi motors after seeing some of the old top fuel guys were running iron block and heads. Even saw a twin turbo dragster that made 1000+ hp.

He suggested I take a look at the Gen III Hemi combinations. Finding out that the new blocks can take a punch I figured what the heck give it a shot and build a 5.7L Hemi.

Last week I spent some time on the phone talking to a few people about the possibilities and limitations of the Gen III blocks in various applications.

Depending on what power-adder I decide on going with then I will start working on getting the rotating assembly together.

Some of the other tasks of this project:
  • Update wiring
  • EFI system and pump
  • Make a few additions to rollcage for safety and stock suspension updates (motor plate, etc.)

1971 Dodge Dart - Powerplant <<TBD>>