Quote:

I have the same cam. Holley Street dominator with 750 Quick fuel carb. MP dizzy with chrome box. I have the initial set at 20 degrees with a total of 38 all in by 2000. Cold one pump of gas pedal and it fires. If you have an MP distributor set your initial as much as it will take with out a hard hot start. The mechanical advance is adjustable to limit total advance and summit sells a nice little kit with degree paddels to set the total. In my case the motor loves 20 initial so with 20 initial i needed to limit mechanicial to 18 degrees. Set the 18 paddel in slot and adjusted it. Car starts right up cold or hot and no ping at wide open throttle.Do not use manifold vacunm for advance. Use the ported vac like it was designed with.

Sure it starts hot at 20 intial , What starter do you have, Battery CCA? There is something you arent saying.

My 440 will stop cranking hot around 18. After a 45 minute ride it needs a 10 degree retard to crank. Best setting with my manual 4speed is 18+18 for 36 total mechanical and 12 vacuum advance in stock MP HEI distributor with MSD 6al box and msd retard. 600 CCA diehard battery.

Yeah all in by 2000. Why bother. Have a vacuum advance at least.

Good luck threw you some pearls do not quit.

Last edited by mark7171; 05/13/12 01:11 AM.