Lay off Ryan!
From what I see customer never called Ryan until well after much water had gone under the bridge--case closed. Customer took things into his own hands, THAT was the end of it as far as a business deal. As to guessing what really happened--I have pals that work in Nascar--their only job is autopsy after issues--well...they are SMART and sometimes they never figure out what really started it all and what really happened--they do it every day and have access to the best equipment, electron microscopes, tech that rivals NASA, the industry experts that made the parts,the metal guys, etc and they tell me it is the most difficult job in the shop to figure what really happened. So just pulling some covers, looking in and proclaiming this did that and so on seems suspect to me. Bash if you want to, it is easy but I bet the WHOLE story would come to a different conclusion. And for all that BS about coil bind --until Nascar guys started running within about .050 of CB no one else did or knew to--a mile of spring left before coil bind will not hurt a thing in many applications.
Reading a book about how to swim will get you drowned and dead. Reading about engine building will not make you an engine builder. Building hundreds of fine engines will teach you, and Ryan has done that and more! The main thing about Moparts is you CAN learn things on here. It IS helpful! But...this everyone piling on when many really do not have the experience to say a word is chilling. It turns my stomach to see it happen again and again. Lay back, read, read between the lines but keep your keystrokes to yourself unless you are sure you know better than the folks involved. He bashed first here, BEFORE he called the builder--IMO case closed. Race engines fail--it is a fact--big boys buy another and keep on winning--they know it is a part of the game-- Every engine builder in the world has had an engine fail---the customer telling exactly why it did is armchair quarterbacking AT BEST. Sleep well tonight Ryan, I would use you in a skinny minute if I needed a bad to the bone Small Block!