I have a s/b Chall T/A that I use for auto-x and hi-speed road course lapping sessions, as well as a little street/hwy driving. My ~25 yrold mechanical pump has just sprung a leak, so, I'll be replacing the pump. I've always had the filter BEFORE the pump (I know that's not stock, but neither is the car). Does it realy make any difference if the fuel filter is positioned BEFORE the mechanical pump, or, is there a better reason for it be positioned AFTER the pump (between the pump and the carb... maybe only for easier install/removal?)?

Also, any thumbs up/down on using the Carter race-mechanical pump (~$80-90) instead of an OE-type pump (~$40)? I never had any problems with the OE-type mechanical pump (and the filter being installed just before the pump).

Thanks ahead!

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!