I'd been reading around on FBO and other authorities on vacuum advance for a couple weeks. This old article in particular pulled me over:
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=4711501&page=2391

I decided to try connecting my distributor to a full manifold vacuum source just to see what it would do. What's the worst that could happen?

Results: smoother idle, QUIETER idle, and a stronger step-off since all of the advance is already pulled in vs. the delay from using the ported source.
My idle is absolutely rock steady at 800 rpm and I picked up a couple of inches of vacuum in drive. Drives exactly the same after it's rolling, of course.

I didn't get a chance to fiddle with the actuation curve with my Mityvac yet, but just as it is right now is an amazing improvement for no more effort than switching a hose and a plug and reducing my idle setting a half-turn. I didn't even need to touch my initial timing of 12 degrees. And this is just some old janky pre-Mallory MP distributor, not an FBO unit. Try it!

1967 Dodge Coronet Deluxe station wagon

1.03" T-bars, QA1 arms/rods, Cordoba/GM Metric/Volare brake & knuckle, XHDs, Hellwig rear sway, 318 Magnum w/ air gap, 727, 3.23s