Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I currently have a hydraulic flat tappet, but I am open to suggestions as to what type of cam and grind would make a good combination. I want to make the correct choice, and if I need to get rid of what I have previously bought, that is okay.

My cam right now is a comp xe275hl.

I would go to a solid FT cam, maybe?

I have been thinking along those same lines, but i have no idea where to start. Is a f/t very streetable? Also, What specs do I need to know to make an informed cam choice?

A FT cam is very much streetable. Lash will need checked once in a while. With good valvetrain parts, a check every 5,000 miles should be more than enough. Even then, it will probably need little to no adjustment. The solid FT will give a little wider power band and better top end perfomrance vs a hydraulic. I think setting lash is a lot more straight forward than setting pre-load on a high performance hydraulic so in a way, mechanical is easier.

Choice depends on your use of the car, engine displacement and mods, drivetrain (transmission/convertor, rear gear), power brake plans and your personal preference. Comp and Hughes have good shelf grinds.

For reference, I'm running a fast rate solid FT in a 496. As recommended by Muscle Motors, it specs out at 243 degree @ .050" intake duration with a 108 degree lobe seperation. Rockers are Comp cast steel "pro magnum" with 3/8" pushrods. It has been a very robust and reliable setup. The engine starts to wake up around 2000 RPM and really sings from roughly 3000 RPM. Peak HP is around 5600 (guess) and it pulls well to and beyond 6k.