Quote:

When I worked at high end shop (literally next to chip foose, who referred us business) we were 10 grand to get in the door. Usually went up when the car got naked. It was show car quality, in so cal car went to pebble beach won best of paint.... yada yada yada..... We used high quality materials and on average we had over 3000 in just materials at our cost.

Most show cars received over 200 hours of documented labor- and yes a show cars usually went over 20,000$ The most expensive car was a 31 ford coupe-
We did most of the cars on that page.

http://www.wheelersspeedshop.com/projects.html

IIRC 27,000$, I personally did ALOT of the body work, and color sanded it and polished it and assembled it. It was through wheelers speed shop who was 1/2 block away from us. Great guys there!

We refused to do the white flames on it, so we painted it, it left came back with those things on it came back and we finished it.

The base coat on that car was 700$ a gallon. 3 gallons. just BASE!!!!

If we didn't strip a car (very rare) we could get it done for under 10k. also all cars were in and out of our shop within 3 months.
I left the shop as we got in a 1970 cuda convertible 440 car.... I wanted to stay just a bit longer, but couldn't

Most people don't understand what it takes to make these things nice. Here on the east coast and the rust issues associated with New England winters, we uasually see well over 400+ hours in a rotiseri restoration and assembly.
For a "Paint Job" is something different. Price would depend on what is on the car now for paint and materials and if it would need to be stripped and bodywork redone, jams painted, underhood and trunk, and engine bay. 10K sounds like it may be in the ballpark if minimal stripping and bodywork is required.
Lets say a bodyshop charges $75/hour including materials, paint, storage, heat(expensive to run a paint booth), electricity, and other misc overhead cost. 10K worth of work is about 133 hours of shop labor.
Allan G.

1970 Challenger w/572 Hemi street car and my pride and joy. 1986 T-Type with 272 Stage 2 Buick V6 engine - True 8 second street car. Just updated the engine and put down 928 HP @ 35# boost to the ground on chasis dyno. 1976 Cee Bee Avenger Jet Boat - 460 Ford powered.