Quote:

Quote:

If the prestone and other universals didn't mix with other antifreezes don't you think there would be mass law suits in the media by now from destroyed engines

Whenever I check someone elses coolant level and discover the fluid is a brown color with slime lining the reservoir, I know they have used a non original replacement. I fell into this trap myself when I changed the water pump on the wife's '05 T&C and used prestone universal to replace the lost fluid. Over the course of about six months the fluid changed to a brown color and became lumpy and slimy. I flushed the system and refilled from scratch with some overpriced coolant purchased from the dealer. I suppose this doesn't mean an incompatability issue has occured by mixing of fluids as long as they do their jobs. Maybe it's only aesthetics.

Water Wetter admits to that.

I had a 95 mustang I put water wetter in and thought I blew a head gasket when I checked my coolant a month later.
(chunky brown stuff floating in resevior.)

After searching the net I found a complaint sent in to water wetter and there response was something like "Do to a reaction with rust preventatives in certain antifreezes water wetter will appear to clump up when anti freeze is cold, do not worry it dissolves as it warms up and retains still retains its properties"

Our shop has used it for years (universal antifreeze)in every thing which is probably hundreds of cars per year and never had a complaint or issue.