Good morning guys,

I wanted to share some findings on ball joints relative to this topic. I think we would all agree that if we reduce as much friction as possible, the suspenion will perform more effectively. Better to have your shocks controlling how much pitch rotation you get (adjustable, predictable, consistant) than your ball joints, bushings etc which you cannot adjust or control as bind will not be a constant in this example. If your can can be inconsistant, bind somewhere could be the enemy.

So, if we look at the ball joint, it is a ball in socket design with a mechanism to keep the ball engaged in the socket. Commonly a spring or in some cases, a piece of rubber. (Springs weaken and rubber pieces will fail as well). The low friction ball joints I am most familiar with start with a precision machined ball and socket for perfect fit. Then, a low friction coating is added for wear control and to promote a smoothe operation. Finally, the mechanism that keeps the ball properly located in the socket is such that wear is not an issue. The ball will be properly engaged in the socket at all times. I'll bet others are in that similar design family too.

The amount of force necessary to move a ball joint in this example will need to be viewed when in use, on the car with live loads being applied. The forces being applied will tend to want to promote bind as the ball and socket will not be properly aligned. Bind or friction will be created. (ex: dis-located shoulder) If you consider traction as a relationship between how quickly torque hits the rear tire verses how quickly and with how much downward force we can produce to the contact patch of the tire, we would probably agree that we want that front end as "loose" under load of car as possible. Stick the tire with just enough load to control the forces trying to "shear" the tire loose.

Also, this can be another case of getting what you pay for. As a ball joint wears, it feels smoother and will be moved more freely at rest. However, do to the design, the "loaded characteristics" will be very much different and limiting. (Dis-located shoulder example) We don't want parts popping out of place, on our bodies or our cars.

How our cars perform can be considered a sum of all parts in play and how they work relative to each other. Hope this helps!

Have a good day and weekend

Eric