Quote:

We're going to install new carpet in the wagon as we reassemble it after paint. I'd like to install Dynamat on the floors for sound deadening purposes. Has anyone run into problems with carpet fitment after installing Dynamat or other similar materials?

If you keep the Dynamat back from the edges of parts that bolt down etc you should be ok.

Dynamat and similar products are great at helping dampen the ringing or resonance of panels. If you tap on a panel or specific area and it resonnates or rings, or if there is a lot of noise coming from the other side of the panel i.e. an engine, driveline & road noise, wheel wells etc adding Dynamat will help deaden that. It will even help slow the transfer of heat into an area...for a while.

If you really want to take it to the next level and reduce heat and noise, consider using insulating blanket type material and seal it with foil tape or even Gaffer's tape. Best results are achieved by using a solid layer of insulation sealed along the edges and seams to form a complete barrier aginst noise, heat etc.

The highest quality stuff I've found that also happens to be the least expensive is called "The Insulator" from Aircraft Spruce.

Use the thinner stuff they offer, cut out sections so that it lays flat & covers every square inch of the floor & sides. The covering for my floor and 4-speed hump was made up of over a dozen separate pieces all taped together to form a contoured solid sheet that lies down tightly against the floor.

My carpet went right over it like it wasn't really there. Same with my door panels and headliner. I held the edges back slightly from things like the sill plates, seatbelt holes etc.

The difference of adding The Insulator pad over using just Dynamat is night and day. The combination of the two products regarding reducing noise, heat and vibration is nothing short of amazing.

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda #'s 440-6(block in storage)currently 493" 6 pack, Shaker, 5 speed Passon, 4.10's
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible 408 Magnum EFI with 4 speed automatic overdrive, 3800 stall lock-up converter and 4.30's (closest thing to an automatic 5 speed going)