Quote:

Quote:

It's just as easy to compress metal as it is to compress fluid. No can do, so, unless it's a porous casting,the weight of a cast and forged object with the same displacement should be the same. I'm as far of a scientist as you can get, but still I have a theory about cast and forged cranks differencies. Has anyone really weighed them? Because, my first tehory is that since the cast crank is weaker, they have to make the crankpin size heavier duty than in a forged crank, and since the counterweight sizes are the same, the crank needs external balancing. So, it's actually heavier, not lighter, than the forged crank (yes, haven't weighed for example a 383 forged and cast crank). The second theory is that because of the porousity, the counterweights of the cast crank are lighter...

Ok, I always thought forged was a little more dense than cast.

if they are the same density, and weigh the same...then why is a stock forged 440 crank heavy enough to internally balance, when a stock cast 440 crank is not heavy enough and needs external balance?

are they not cast steel?

either they are ductile iron (9% lighter) or they are different geometry (less material)

I'm pretty sure they're actually ductile iron (nodular iron), not cast steel though.

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)