Hey Bob! Can you build a small block with a username like yours?
I can hardly wait to see the big motor run. I imagine the duster'll be a handful with the 499 so the other will be flat crazy!
I'm not going to run W9's on a 59 degree block. It kinda defeats the purpose if I have to cut that much material out of them to fit. I'm just looking for the best heads for the combo I have and it looks like the oval Indy's are getting the nod. By the time I'm done with them they will be closer in size to the rectangle port heads but I want them to be the shape I want them to be. I'm not terribly concerned about the cost of things. It'll just take me longer to get the funds saved up (obviously) if the price of things is up there.
This, so far, is what I have:
74 360 block bored .030, pro-gram splayed main caps and a partial fill. Studs on the top end. Scat stage I lightened 4" stroke crank with Scat H-beam rods and ARP2000 bolts. Pro-tru flat top pistons.
It's a decent bottom end and I want to use it. Unfortunately, since I no longer have access to a machine shop, my 317 cfm Ede RPM heads won't be able to work as I only managed to finish one port. Besides, what a waste of time. Managed 327 cfm out of the Indy ovals on my first try AND at a lower lift. Anyway, I've known for awhile that the Indy's were what I need to run on this short block. Just need to be realistic and set my rpm ceiling to 7500 which is, I think, within the realm of possible with a 59 degree block and keeping it reliable. Eventually I will be looking for an R3 block and that will be a 48 degree setup. Then I'll start looking for some W9's and go from there.
Thank you everyone, for your input. I really appreciate it.
Jason.