Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Why would any race team buy a trailer that is know to be illegal ?

This same problem has been going on for years, you figure by now they would all meat the law to the inch

I really have to agree with Tom on this one. If you have a pro team and know you are going to be travelling all over the U.S. you need to have all your ducks in a row. I know some of these laws are crazy but laws are laws.

I can't argue with that either. Except that there is a permit process. So give them the permit when they apply. And if someone gets busted for such a minor infraction, give them a fix it it ticket and let them go. Making them miss the race and tow there trailer out of the state on a trailer longer than the one that they are in trouble for is beyond rediculous. I seriously fear for the future of our country when I see stuff like this.

I know it seems like a small thing to those that aren't familar with CalTrans (or any states DoT for that matter) and trucking, but it's actually a big deal. Even if your trailer is 53', your tandoms have to be positioned correctly as well.

I hate to say it, but if you contact CalTrans and they tell you there's no permit and not to come into the state with that trailer and you ignore them and come anyways you deserve what they do to you.

Racers all know this is a problem but choose to thumb their noses at DoT and buy overlength trailers that they know are illegal. I personally don't feel sorry for them and they need to be shown that they aren't above the law. There's enough room in a 53' trailer. This isn't about neccessity with the 56' trailers, it's about ego and keeping up with the jones.

Exactly...53' the law, why would someone build a 56'?