Quote:

Hello:
I'm confused you say the engine was freshly rebuilt 4 years ago and has only been run a few times but not enough to really warm it up. What makes you think it is so dirty you need to do something so drastic? How did it get that bad?
The run on you describe is probly due to not being properly tuned up. Change oil and filter (before starting engine)
Tune it up / drain tank / carb / and lines.
Then see how it runs. MY HUMBLE OPINION

Maynard

I think you are on to something here. First I made the mistake of assuming the fluids were topped off and low and behold, the motor is low on coolant and was begining to run hot. I think the electric fans saved my butt here...motor got up to 220F before I realized the motor was running hot.

Coolant has since been topped off and motor runs at idle at no more than 175 degrees after 30 minutes. The motor now runs a LOT better and I think that was making me think I had tons of crap in the chambers...to be safe, I added Marvel Mystery Oil to fuel and oil.

Issue still remains with engine idling at 1100-1200 RPM and running rich. From what I can see the carb is set to run lean (idle mixture screws are only 1 turn out from being bottomed out) and idle speed is set to lowest...

I am not sure if timing is my cuplrit here or maybe a vacum leak...motor seems to pull a consistant manifold vacum of 15 inches at idle...

Any pointers on where to look? I am a younger guy so I am trying to learn the tuning of a holley carb where I grew up in a world of computers...