Quote:

The 48RE trans (03.5 to 07) will take a "little" abuse from mods. The 47RE or older RH for that matter, were a HUGE weak link. I smoked two stock torque converter in my 01 with a basic Edge EZ chip. I had a spare 47RE that I put $1400 into (triple disc converter, all new bearings and thrust washers, new input shaft, valve body kit, clutches/steels). I have 80k on that trans and it will hold my power level just fine....matter of fact I ended up putting some bigger injectors in it and that increased my mpg. The BIGGEST issue with these trucks are they are waayyy detuned in stock form so that the drivetrain will survive. Many people spend the $400-$600 for the "instant" hp/torque upgrade of a downloader that takes 5 minutes to install, but won't go the extra mile to insure that the trans has also been upgraded. That's a big reason that the transmissions got such a bad rap in these trucks.

....I'm waiting for someone that will make a stand alone trans controller for the 68RFE (six speed behind the 6.7 engine) so that I can look at sticking one in my 01.

I've been told that if I do put a tuner on mine, as long as I stay around 100-125 hp the trans will be fine. True?
(Sorry to derail your thread, Eric, but with knowledgeable people chiming in I just have to ask. )

Tim

'71 Charger 383/727
'17 Challenger SXT (Wifeys car wink )