Quote:

Quote:

Standard Spare tire , NOT A SPACESAVER

Pete, how can you tell? Is the stud supposed to be in the more forward position for a spacesaver car? Or length of stud?
My '71 had a bare trunk when I bought it and am trying to detail it correctly.
Tincuda your trunk looks GK6? Your tag says FC7, so the stud could have been changed or moved when the car was repainted maybe?

Yeah, I am trying to peice it all together. My car was painted FC7 purple from the factory and I can tell you that it was because there is still purple under the inside door panels, bottom of package shelf metal panel, etc. The car was painted blue when I bought the car and a lot of things had been changed for racing. Once I started cleaning up the trunk, under the brownish goldish rustish paint, I found purple underneath. I guess the last owner hated purple. Why he/she painted it that color in the trunk is anyones guess. I can also tell you that the car also had rear window defogger because of the rear window package tray upper bezel and dash board switch for it are present. That with the fender tag call out. My car had the defogger.

The problem with the spare tire that I have is that the spare that I got with the car was a full size spare and the rim was date coded 1978. Also the jack, jack base, and bumper hook where all black. To the best of my knowlege, it should be light gray. I wouldn't think it too much of a stretch that the last owner went to the trouble of removing the spare tire and jack to lighten the car for racing, then at some point latter on, use the car for a regular daily driver, to replce the hold down bolt with a standard one in order to use a more practical full size spare. The hold down is attached with one bolt. And the standard hold downs by definition, would have been more common to find.

Of course, it might have just come with a full size spare. This is why we do research. It's also why I call it my obsession. lol

This a picture of a restored trunk, rear defogger setup. It is not mine but it might make a good reference.

6891987-Cudatrunk003.jpg (906 downloads)

(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O) 1971 Plymouth 'Cuda 440-6 {||O||} 2000 Yamaha V-Max (O O [========= SRT] O O) 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT 392 . Making as big as a carbon footprint as I can!!!