Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I got to ride in a de-stroked 318. It used the 273 crank. 305 CI like the Real Trans Am racers. I have an old mopar engine book with the build specifics. This motor was in a 69 dart. It would rev way up fast and blast off the line. This would help keep it in the winning position. I ways wanted to build one.

273 cranks had the same 3.31" stroke and journal diameters as 318's and 340's. The Trans Am cranks had something like a 2.96" stroke.

One problem with a stroked 273 is that despite the extra cubic inches, the bore size would limit valve size and breathing. I would think that it would make a lot more torque.

torque rules for for fun factor

the whole point of a stroker..no?

I know my uncle had a stock hipo 273 with a .500 lift solid cam that was a beast for a 273 with 4-speed and 3.91sg and it would buzz real high rpms.

I am thinking a 330 or 349 would be real cool on the street as a daily driver and the 349 would not need the bore notching and could use 360 heads

no, the whole point of a stroker is to add displacement...stroke is just a more convienient way to add displacement. one of the mags like hotrod a number of years ago built up 2 383ish cheby motors with identical components, save one was "all bore" with an aftermarket block and stock 350 stroke, the other was all stroke. compression was the same for both. the results? they made essentially the same power, with the "all bore" motor besting the stroker by a few HP/tq due to less valve shrouding. so your exotic, expensive 330CID 273 based stroker has the same HP/tq potential essentially as a .060 over 318....or less than a stock stroke 360....

the other issue with a 4" arm/6.2" rod (1.55 rod ratio) motor is piston velocity....with a stock replacement type cast piston, I wouldn't recommend going past 4000 ft/sec for a mean piston speed, which limits you to ~6000 RPM.

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)