Quote:

Depends on the rest of your build and intended usage. This is in the race section, not general, so that's going to up the ante.
Here's my take on this from a low-buck, mainly street stance.
Go with a balanced kit if:
You are building a street car that will rarely if ever be at full throttle, the engine will be assembled at home with basic tools and you are not checking every tolerance and fitting each part. The engine will be more for bragging rights and wanting a bit more than stock.
Go with the unbalanced if:
You or a good, trusted machinist is going to double or triple-check and fit each and every component, the engine will be run hard and long and expected to produce consistant and reliable high HP, and you will use all the available power.

Most people fall in between the cruiser bragging that he has a 400+ small block and idling around town and the racer that has a combo that puts others to shame. I would lean toward expecting that some fitting and changes will be needed on the rotating assembly. Stuff like ring fitting, bearing or piston coating, cleanup of clearances, rod bolt changes or smoothing of the piston tops can all change the weights of the components. It makes sense to do all of this fitting and setup before final balance to me.

I would also add that if you are taking a bunch of parts to a machinist, it makes sense to have them responsible for all the special work done. If the cost is fairly close, have them do the balancing too.

My duster is not a dailey driver but a strip/street car. My foot WILL be in it!!!! My 360 block is .040 so I dont know how many cubes it will make but Im not looking to set the world on fire. Id like to get a NICE 400+ SB with steel crank,H beam rods and forged pistons. I would use everything else in my current set-up to save money. I would thing with everything I have now in my 360 and then make it a 400+,I would think it would make at least 550HP and id be VERY happy with that!!!
I have PMed Dan and he has PMed me back...I will call him next week.