Quote:

Good news. I could not build any oil pressure when I tried priming the engine with a drill through the distribuitor. I kept hearing gurgling and hissing under the intake manifolf. After 2 days I thought about trying to drink through a straw with a hole in it and decided to pull the oil pan. The oil pick up tube was cracked where it threads into the block and broke off when I touched it.
A trip to the auto parts store for 2 pan gaskets and a $17.50 pick up tube and the bird is running. Thanks to everyone for their advise.

Hmm. Thought it might be that but as I mentioned, I have only seen that happen twice in over 35 years. Now it's three times. Just as a note, looking at a number of pickups over the years some seem to have rolled threads that end with a smooth transition and some seem to be cut where the end of the thread is sharp. Both failures I've personally seen had the sharply cut threads and the failure appeared to have started at the end of the thread.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".