""i think you should call him and make sure the coil he sold you is a true 12v or is internally ballasted (is that a word?)""

The new FBO coil #HR688 is a true 12v coil. (Reference, the coil can be mounted in any direction, per Don.) It looks just like the old FBO coil (size and shape) except for the writing on the coil is different. The old coil/ECU could handle 12v for a short time period (Don designed it this way for his drag car) and the new coil/ECU was designed for 12v all the time.
I know for a fact that the new coil and the old coil are not the same unit. I started emailing Don in the Spring of 2010 to see if he was going to come out with a 12v coil and he had already been testing one for a while. Last fall (2010) when I wanted to swap to a 12v coil, I emailed him again about his 12v coil and it was still not ready. Then this past Spring I emailed him again and it was being tested but still not ready. This past Summer he started selling them and I now have one and I have been running it now for about 6 weeks. Don's ignition parts may be a little more expensive, but Don sells a very nice Mopar ignition system.

1970 YO7 A66 [Canadian Export] F8 Challenger
340 (Currently in shop for stroker assy.)