A few weeks ago I found myself w/ a limited amount of free time available and a burning desire to finish the porting on my "Frankenstein" intake. At that point it had the runner exits rewelded due to some port matching issues w/ the new heads and had been milled by Dwayne Porter to fit properly. Anyway, I fired up the Makita w/ a "fast cut" carbide to open up all that new weld and it was a classic episode of "Man vs. Machine!" because of only having narrow window of opportunity.

Cut to the chase: the end results aren't pretty... and really aren't indicative of the type of work I try to do for myself. And last night as I was removing the intake from the heads mocked-up on the block while trying to check the port alignment, it really bothered me that I did such a freakin' hack job on the intake, simply because I got tired of it taking so long to get the MoPig back together (again).

Will it work? Yeah, but I'd be embarassed to show anybody the intake off the engine because of how crappy it turned out. And short of going through the major (and not inexpensive) hassle of duplicating this particular intake w/ all the welding & porting work, I can't even say if it would have been 2, 10 or 20 HP better had I taken my time. But it really pi$$es me off that this is how it turned out... and that it could (and should) have turned out better if I'd not been in such a rush.

"Learn by other's mistakes!"