Welcome to MoParts

I done a few myself,most with the stock 360 4-V cam

I mainly did it for a stockish 4x4 engine for the low end torque in the mud.

some of the early mag block are drilled for the LA oil passage,it is blocked at the head gasket and head.

best 360 would be an 89 or so pre-mag with roller cam,this will up the performance with roller liftes and cam choise.

I have noticed 90-92 318/tbi engine oil thru the roller lifters with hollow PR AND the old LA style thru the head and and rocker shaft.

when I swaped in my roller cam,it now oils both ways to the rockers so it ready for a mag head swap next..the head oily is figured out and ready.

of corse if you go roller you use all of the stock roller gear and shorter PR with stock shaft rockers.

there are a few ways of doing what you want with what you have,just pick all the right parts and put together a fun pre-mag roller engine cheaply and all stock part..just a cam and spring swap is needed.

the mag heads are the same head 5.2/318 or 5.9/360 and need more speical part to match up the older LA tranz and TC

the mag heads have a diff intake bolt pattern which in itself can be a hold up on "what intake" to use or redrilled.

I liked all mine that I did its no race engine but it does have some grunt for a working truck.

I used the 340 resto cam with a holley street dom intake 600 cfm on the one in my 68Dart,with a stock HS TC with 3.55 gears it was a blast to drive

all the 4x4s got thrashed and they held up great

I have done a few pontiacs with the 350/400 head swaps for the same thing back in the day when I drove a lemans sport

I bet most that knock it have not did a back yard re-ring on a 360 and used a set of the #302 heads..(which had just come out when I did it) to have some FUN WITH WHAT YA BRUNG!

best part is telling everyone "its just a 318 from a little old ladys dart"

sometimes less can be more fun

Last edited by scratchnfotraction; 08/14/11 10:33 PM.