Quote:

Quote:

thats the thing mrp there is no damage to the rim any where that i can see... its just a hair line crack that took me a while to find ....i had tires put on this thing about 8mths ago and no problems til now ... i put it in the shop and came out the next day tire was low and thought i had ran over a nail or something ...spray the tire with soap and water nothing so i just sprayed the whole thing thinking its in the side wall...you really cant see the crack i only know where its at now cause i marked the tire.....the rim is about .5 thick where its cracked at and right and the bottom of the flat that the tire seals on...now this is a heavy duty rim that carry alot of weight..i want to say 16/18000 lb axle... :

So this is for a SEMI truck and its a steer.
Replace it.Dont risk it with a truck that big.
My opinon
Dont think of yourself.Think of everyone else on the road.

Sorry

Bob

Alum OTR semi wheels are illegal to weld/repair, period, Further the alloy, 7000 or 2000 series is not considered to be weldable in most cases. Pure scrap. And if you want to in your spare time, calculate the surface area of the tire and rim combined in inches, multiply by say 110lbs, and think whether you would want your mom to stand next to it?

I should restate "illegal", in the sense if a welded alum wheel was involved with in a crash causing injury/death, criminal negligence is a very likely charge.

Last edited by jcc; 08/03/11 12:05 PM.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.