With all do repsect Billy, I highly doubt it was simply a "bad K1 rod". Hey, anything is possible I guess, but I'd be looking elsewhere.

First off, unless you ( or the builder, not sure who did what in your build) can assure you:

1) The rod bolts were first cycled properly
2) The bores were checked before and AFTER cycling.
3) The rod bolt lengths were recorded before stretching AND after strecthing. ( not sure if you used torque and angle,torque or stretch)
4) Bores were checked for any chamfer or honing related impingments
5)Proper lube was used
6) Did you have a gasket leak and dosme hydro locking?
7) Did the valves hit the pistons FIRST, and beat out bearing to the point of failure?

I will go on record to say that myself and quite a few other shops that share information have used hundreds of sets of K1 rods without issue, and in higher horsepower and higher RPM applictions, without ever an issue. When we see ANYONES rod or bearing failure, it is 99.9% of the time some other problem, or an installation error.Could a rod "just" fail? I suppose. Do they? Not really.The internet unfortunatly breeds a "mob" mentallity when things fail, and then a pile on effect takes place, often without qualified diagnosis, and the result is, " I got a bad brand XYZ" part. Most of the time, it is not the part.

I think you really need to look at some other issues that may have caused this. That could involve many things such as already stated, oil starvation, improper set up/assembly and so forth. I did not do the work, so like everyone else, we are making assumptions based on your supplied information. I am simply stating, that in 25+ years of doing this, at many different levels, I would be shocked to see a K1, or any of the similar products just "fail". If the bearing spun, you very simply lost crush, or starved the bering to the point of friction tearing up the bearing sufrace, then the spinning begins. I would still spend some time investigating that area.I see this stuff all the time, nd can tell you, there is almost always reason.( often more information surfaces AFTER the fact...lol)

Regardless, very sorry to hear, it really stinks for anyone. Step back, catch your breath and start looking at some of the things that you perhaps havent considered( or dont want to...lol)

Best of luck to you.

RIP Monte Smith

Your work is a reflection of yourself, autograph it with quality.

WD for Diamond Pistons,Sidewinder cylinder heads, Wiseco, K1 rods and cranks,BAM lifters, Morel lifters, Molnar Technologies, Harland Sharp, Pro Gear, Cometic, King Engine Bearings and many others.