05/13/24 08:15 PM
05/13/24 08:15 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
On my faulty bulk head connecter, after putting the squeeze to the female terminal didn't help, I figured out I needed an assistant to push the terminal under the hood at the same time I was pushing the same terminal under the dash. It seemed that the locks that hold the terminals in place in the connector had enough looseness the male and female spades were still not making a good connection. Pushing the spade terminals together from both sides secured the connection and solved the problem. We double pushed every pair of terminals in the bulk head connecter together.

Pushing the terminals from one side, and even tightening up the bolt does not assure the terminals are actually completing the connection. If you have put a bit of a squeeze on the female terminal, you are expecting a lot from the plastic clips that holds each of the terminals in the connecter. I suggest you have someone help you push each wire connection together from both sides before you call the connections good. I might also suggest the battery be disconnected through this process. And yes, it is a pain to be able to access the actual terminal ends under the hood, you will probably have to remove the protective rubber boot from the connecter all those wires pass through.

Re: Overcharging issue driving me crazy [Re: stumpy] #3232756
05/14/24 12:46 PM
05/14/24 12:46 PM
The Historic Hudson Valley
MONC Offline OP
master
MONC  Offline OP
master

Originally Posted by stumpy
If you have a cigertte light recepticle get one of the plug in digital voltmeters and you can see what's happening that way. https://www.amazon.com/Cigarette-Li...voltmeter&qid=1715613918&sr=8-32

Thanks, easy way to check voltage wink

Mopar
Or
No
Car
Re: Overcharging issue driving me crazy [Re: poorboy] #3232758
05/14/24 12:49 PM
05/14/24 12:49 PM
MONC Offline OP
master
MONC  Offline OP
master

Originally Posted by poorboy
On my faulty bulk head connecter, after putting the squeeze to the female terminal didn't help, I figured out I needed an assistant to push the terminal under the hood at the same time I was pushing the same terminal under the dash. It seemed that the locks that hold the terminals in place in the connector had enough looseness the male and female spades were still not making a good connection. Pushing the spade terminals together from both sides secured the connection and solved the problem. We double pushed every pair of terminals in the bulk head connecter together.

Pushing the terminals from one side, and even tightening up the bolt does not assure the terminals are actually completing the connection. If you have put a bit of a squeeze on the female terminal, you are expecting a lot from the plastic clips that holds each of the terminals in the connecter. I suggest you have someone help you push each wire connection together from both sides before you call the connections good. I might also suggest the battery be disconnected through this process. And yes, it is a pain to be able to access the actual terminal ends under the hood, you will probably have to remove the protective rubber boot from the connecter all those wires pass through.

Yes agree on this. There is one suspect connector where I'd like to ensure the connection is good and tight, and definitely agree on needing another set of hands to help with it.
Will definitely do this thanks - and yes make sure battery is not connected ! wink

Last edited by MONC; 05/14/24 12:49 PM.

Mopar
Or
No
Car
Re: Overcharging issue driving me crazy [Re: MONC] #3232761
05/14/24 12:58 PM
05/14/24 12:58 PM
MONC Offline OP
master
MONC  Offline OP
master

Ok so I took a chance and drove the car to a very reputable guy who has provided great service for me in the past on my alternators and starters. He was glad to check the system out to see if all the components were doing what they were supposed to. Bottom line, everything checked out. He thinks the alternator is simply not putting out enough power at idle and likely due to the space between the stator and magnet ( I think I got that right). He said the more these alternators get rebuilt the more space you end up having and over time can be an issue.

He said the car will drive fine for now ( it did run pretty well - jumped up to 80 from 55 without an issue and aftermarket ammeter didn't go past the first notch on the charge side ).
What he said he can do is find a smaller pulley to increase the alternator output.

So I guess for now, it's good. Although there are some things I still question, which I will do some research on and make another post as necessary.
I will check that bulkhead connection with another set of hands when I find a pair to help.
Wondering if I should hook the factory ammeter back up and see what it says as well.

Thanks for all the replies!

Mopar
Or
No
Car
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3