04/26/24 10:29 AM
04/26/24 10:29 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
I think it depends if you are selling a "classic" or a "daily driver". It's different selling a '67 Belvedere versus a 2012 Kia. For the most part, different groups who would be interested.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: experience selling old vehicle.. [Re: 6PakBee] #3229340
04/26/24 03:23 PM
04/26/24 03:23 PM
Michigan
MarkZ Offline
Worthy
MarkZ  Offline
Worthy

Michigan
I sold a 2010 Escape last year on FBM and got my asking price. Car was up for one hour and gone that night. Had tons of randos making stupid lowball offers. The one that did buy it was some lady who brought family with her to look at it. She translated for the father who knew cars. He complained the struts felt weak, to which my reply was, what do you expect for 120k miles?" They tried to get me to lie on title regarding the sale price and then asked if I would leave the plate on it. People are assholes. Needed to take a shower after that.

1987 Fifth Avenue - 512/518/D60
Re: experience selling old vehicle.. [Re: MarkZ] #3229351
04/26/24 05:31 PM
04/26/24 05:31 PM
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Can...
moparmike1 Offline
top fuel
moparmike1  Offline
top fuel

Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Can...
Originally Posted by MarkZ
People are assholes.

Very much so and getting worse.

Selling certain things has become an exercise in frustration.

Re: experience selling old vehicle.. [Re: moparmike1] #3229363
04/26/24 06:51 PM
04/26/24 06:51 PM
Between Houston & Galveston TX
SattyNoCar Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile
SattyNoCar  Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile

Between Houston & Galveston TX

When I sold my wagon last year, I used a Mopar specific group on Facebook. Using a special interest, private group cuts down on the nonsense, but doesn't completely eliminate it.

Not a complaint since I expected this from the very beginning, BUT I did not expect just how many "I'd be interested if it wasn't a '73" responses I would get. So many that my 'enough time to sell', became 'I have to sell NOW'...

The buyer was nice enough, I'm not going to bad mouth him, but he had cash and used my situation to his favor.

The only thing that upset me after the fact was that as far as I know he parted it out. Never had the intention to fix it. (I came across a number of parts ads),

The 4dr I had years back suffered a similar fate, but at least with that car, it was a number of years later as the buyer had gotten in over his head and bailed.

I'm down to just my Dakota now, and I'm real close to driving it to the junkyard and walking away.........

John

The dream is dead, long live the dream.......😥
Re: experience selling old vehicle.. [Re: MarkZ] #3229392
04/26/24 11:12 PM
04/26/24 11:12 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
I sold my Duster on Craigslist. Sold within 24 hours, buyer was happy, I was happy. On flip side I've had parts for sale on CL for months without a single ping. So heck if I know. Some stuff sells, some stuff doesn't. Sometimes I'll list stuff and I don't hear anything for months and then a guy shows up and pays full price and takes it.

DSC_4654 (Large).JPG
Re: experience selling old vehicle.. [Re: MarkZ] #3229482
04/27/24 12:35 PM
04/27/24 12:35 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
" then asked if I would leave the plate on it. People are assholes."

my brother lives in california, and sold a 1995 olds ciera he bought here in pa at one of the auctions i used to go to when he lived here.
it was a pretty decent car, bought very cheap, and served him well for many years, and he took it with him when he moved because of his job.
well finally it was time to sell it, so by then, it had a ton of miles on it and needed new tires and a couple of other minor things, so he listed it on "whatever" out there.
some lady and her son showed up, bought it with cash for his cheap asking price. he signed the title, off they went, and that was that..........or so he thought............
about a month goes by, and he gets a letter from the local PD claiming he is going to have an arrest warrant issued for him unless he pays the speeding ticket issued the same day he sold the car. the date and time was listed, as well as the ticket number. as this was almost 12 hours after he sold the car, he knew it wasn't him. he calls the phone number on the letter head, explains the car was sold way earlier in the day, gives the PD the woman's name and address, and the PD then tells him to just disregard the letter.
in california, when you sign the pink slip, the buyer is supposed to go to the DMV and finish the sale process. [at least that was the way it worked at the time of this incident] the tags stay with the vehicle.
a few weeks later, he gets another letter for another infraction, plus a phone call for yet another still ! so after a few phone calls and hours spent explaining the car had been sold [giving the date and who it was sold to] and he didn't have it anymore, he thought FINALLY, this mess was taken care of. HAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!

NOT !!

this went on for several more MONTHS, he would get multiple letters, mostly registered [requiring him to spend/waste time going after them] and phone calls threatening him with arrest if he didn't pay up for the tickets "he" received.
hours and hours were spent on the phone and visiting the DMV explaining he no longer owned this car, and it was the woman or her son who had purchased his car that were creating this mess !
it ended finally, when he got a phone call from a tow service, threatening him they were going to sell or junk "his" car if he didn't pay the impound fee, coupled with the tow bill, within 72 hours !
he started laughing and told them he didn't give a $hit what they did, because he had sold this problem months and months, and by this time, almost a year ago !
the tow company person got a pretty good chuckle out of this story, so he told my brother this will be end of his problems................
it must have worked, as he hasn't heard another thing about "his car" in all the many years since. laugh2

yes, people really are A$$HOLES !
beer

Re: experience selling old vehicle.. [Re: moparx] #3229542
04/27/24 04:03 PM
04/27/24 04:03 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
I had a similar deal on a '65 Coronet 500 daily I sold to a young guy, but it actually turned out kinda funny.
Started getting parking tickets on the car from various locations in L.A.a few weeks after selling it and advising DMV accordingly with the mail-in form.
I responded tot he tickets for awhile, even mailing in the new owner's info, but the tickets kept coming.
Eventually, the car was impounded by a tow outfit, and I received a notice of lein sale.
I knew a shop who did a lot of high-end stuff, and being L.A., he also did some commercial real estate in partnership with Sly Stallone.
At the time, he was doing a bulletproof Suburban for him.
Anyway, I go down, basically buy the car back for something like $350, and he tows it to the shop.
Stallone ended up buying the car from me, for his son, while it was sitting there.
And paid me more than the 1st guy, and more I had in it by a decent margin.

Re: experience selling old vehicle.. [Re: topside] #3229646
04/28/24 08:21 AM
04/28/24 08:21 AM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
The new titles in IL have a detachable flap on the bottom that you fill out when you sell the car. You are suppose to send that flap into the State. If you do that, those future problems just don't happen.

I tell the people I sell old car to that I'm sending that flap in the next day, and they don't get my old plates. I tell them I want to keep the plates so I can remember that great ride, then I cut them up and scrap them. .

Re: experience selling old vehicle.. [Re: poorboy] #3229650
04/28/24 08:32 AM
04/28/24 08:32 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
I made up a little form that the buyer has to sign acknowledging that they received a transferred title for the vehicle. Haven't had to use any of them yet but that day's coming.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: experience selling old vehicle.. [Re: poorboy] #3229675
04/28/24 09:56 AM
04/28/24 09:56 AM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Originally Posted by poorboy
The new titles in IL have a detachable flap on the bottom that you fill out when you sell the car. You are suppose to send that flap into the State. If you do that, those future problems just don't happen.

I tell the people I sell old car to that I'm sending that flap in the next day, and they don't get my old plates. I tell them I want to keep the plates so I can remember that great ride, then I cut them up and scrap them. .

Here in Illinois there is no reason (other than maybe laziness) for a vehicle to leave with it's current plates. Here, the plates stay with the owner. Not the vehicle. But that is not true for every state.

In Illinois, ALWAYS remove and retain the plates.

And a sales agreement signed and dated by both parties is a bare minimum for a sale. Nowadays, further steps should be considered, but a signed and dated sales agreement by both parties with the pertinent vehicle details is an absolute must.

Master, again and still
Re: experience selling old vehicle.. [Re: DaveRS23] #3229808
04/28/24 07:28 PM
04/28/24 07:28 PM
Tucson, AZ
Ramrod39 Offline
My New Title
Ramrod39  Offline
My New Title

Tucson, AZ
In Arizona, the plates are to be destroyed or retained by the old owner (I tack them up on my garage walls) and a "Sold Notice" can be filed on-line with the Department of Motor Vehicles stating that you sold the vehicle and are no longer responsible for it.

Re: experience selling old vehicle.. [Re: moparx] #3229820
04/28/24 08:01 PM
04/28/24 08:01 PM
On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
amxautox Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.
amxautox  Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.

On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
moparx That is where the 'report of sale' that Washington State uses. We have 5 working days to submit the report stating who bought it and when. Had a toll company send me a bill for the freeway use by the SST I had owned. I sent them the official report from the DMV that stated who bought it and when. I also called the toll company first, and they then billed the new owner that hadn't registered the car in their name, turned out to be a car used car salesman that bought it.

and yes we are supposed to remove the plates.

Last edited by amxautox; 04/28/24 08:03 PM.

Tom

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

Page 2 of 2 1 2