Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
Originally Posted by a12rag
Yeah . . . I am more inclined to say it is injector noise . . . as said before, doesn't do it all the time . . . and as such, just going to not worry about it . . . everything else on car has checked out perfect, so drive on !

My 2012 Challenger R/T had the "Hemi tick" all the time I owned it - from 2011-2016. I sold the car with 7,xxx miles on it & never had it looked at - seemed futile after all the things I read back then. Our 2017 Ram Hemi will tick on a cold start in cold weather, but then goes away after about 10-15 minutes of driving. What is it - I don't know, but it sounds like lifters.

Now my 2016 300 with the 3.6L does this ALWAYS on cold starts, & it's much noisier in cold weather like now. I've had 2 different dealers look at it & they claim the lifters & motor are fine - "normal." And the 3.6's are notorious for having bad lifters/rocker arms???

I think sometimes opening an OE motor leads to more problems than you had going in. My 300 I bought was certified used - so 7 years & 100,000 miles. That's better than the new car powertrain warranty!

I have to agree about opening an OE engine. Most dealer techs I have worked with swear by cookie sanding discs for cleaning old gaskets off, or busted electrical connectors, pulled out wires... and I have seen a bunch of other stuff that just burns me up when I see guys doing it. If you don't know for a fact who is working on something you could well end up with a worse mess than you started with, fixing a harmless ticking lifter could cost you an engine 10,000 miles down the road or electrical problems or who knows what.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!