Moparts

What's Lupo's converter rep these days?

Posted By: Brad_Haak

What's Lupo's converter rep these days? - 11/15/22 01:52 PM

I'm putting the old car back together w/ the same Dynamic 9.5 (Frank Lupo's biz in DE, not the other Dynamic in CT) that was spec'd for it two engine builds and about 100 HP ago. How the old converter works w/ the new engine combo is one of the great unknowns at this point. It took the jump from 550-ish to 600-ish pretty well (stall stepped up a tad and slippage stayed about 8%), but now there's a solid 50+ more HP and the peak torque went up about 30 #s, too.

Years ago, seemed like "everyone" loved Dynamic converters. Now I never hear anyone mention Dynamic. Have they fallen off the radar, or have other companies gotten ahead of them in tech? If it needs to be adjusted or replaced, wondering if they should be my first choice or look elsewhere. Thx

EDIT: I apologize if this new thread is an unintentional revisiting of the same basic subject as THIS 2019 THREAD. However, any updates re Dynamic would be appreciated. up

Re: What's Lupo's converter rep these days? - 11/15/22 03:03 PM

I pulled my head outta my a$$ for a few minutes and called Dynamic (for the first time in ??? years). Spoke w/ Sean and told him how the combo changed since the converter was spec'd originally. Asked him if they'd still recommend a 9.5" for my street/strip application and he said yes. Gave me some prices for having the old converter rebuilt & updated vs purchasing a new one outright... I'm thinking between the labor, bearing upgrades, stator, and whatever he said would be done, that buying a new converter outright may make more sense if/when that time comes.
Posted By: markz528

Re: What's Lupo's converter rep these days? - 11/15/22 06:40 PM

I'm still a Dynamic fan. Been using Frank for 40 years..........
Posted By: tex013

Re: What's Lupo's converter rep these days? - 11/15/22 08:32 PM

mine has been fine for years , 10yrs ? maybe a couple more . From mid 11s 440 to 10.20s 505ci . All footbrake , all in same car . Stall moved from 4800 to 5000 . Had drive hub replaced when weld cracked , just had it cleaned out after oil pump lugs sheared and ground up . When I put footbrake trans back together it be waiting as a spare .

Tex
Posted By: topside

Re: What's Lupo's converter rep these days? - 11/15/22 08:53 PM

The one he did for my drag car has been in there forever & has always done just what he said it would.
No recent experience, though.

Re: What's Lupo's converter rep these days? - 11/15/22 11:44 PM

I appreciate all the feedback. The conversation w/ Sean was helpful, too. Thx
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: What's Lupo's converter rep these days? - 11/16/22 03:43 AM

Late to the conversation, but I’ll throw my 2 cents in: my Lupo 9-1/2” converter is 10 years old and still deadly consistent. Never heats up. I’d buy another in a heartbeat. Only trouble I’ve had with it is it leaks. Not sure that’s all the converter though.
© 2024 Moparts Forums