Moparts

This oil pan?

Posted By: rebel

This oil pan? - 07/31/22 08:03 AM

Anyone use this oil pan. My deep one has taken a few too many hits so I was looking for a replacement that will hold a bit extra for race day. My concern is, will it clear the steering on an E body?

Attached picture Screenshot_20220731-195820_Chrome.jpg
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: This oil pan? - 07/31/22 02:06 PM

That appears to be the 70-71 Hemi pan. It fits great on my e body. It hangs down slightly below the k member. Make sure you get the correct pickup for it. Also get a windage tray if you don't have one. Somebody sells the skid plate that welds to the bottom of the k-member to help protect this pan. The 70-71 Hemi and 440 sixpack cars came with this pan and skid plate.

This is a front sump pan and for a hard launching wheel standing race car there may be better but far more expensive solutions. I have however seen them on some pretty fast cars.
Posted By: Chargerfan68

Re: This oil pan? - 07/31/22 03:56 PM

I have used it on a healthy steet rb stroker that is in a ‘71 E body. No problems or interference with steering linkage at all. It is the 6 qt (+ 1 qt for filter) capacity pan that came stock on 6 barrell and hemi Cudas and Challengers. Works just fine.
Also, have the Milodon version on my 68 charger. No issues there either. And that engine sees the dragstrip with 6700 rpm shifts. No oiling problems at all. I have some data aquisition on that car with a Racepak. Oil pressure remains stable the whole run with the 7 qts total capacity.

Hope this helps.

Attached picture BAD46A57-E3F0-4C73-BA6E-FC38F46D22F3.jpeg
Posted By: Brad_Haak

Re: This oil pan? - 07/31/22 04:15 PM

I had the MP-branded Street Hemi/440-6 originally. One of the spot-welds holding the main baffle in place broke and resulted in a "mystery" leak that wasn't identified until the engine was pulled.

I replaced it with the Milodon version that's made better, plus had some additional baffling added to improve oil control.

No clearance issues with my '73 Challenger.

Link to old thread on my adventure in oil pans: https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...opig-oil-system-now-with-pictures-8.html
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: This oil pan? - 07/31/22 04:52 PM

If that is the stock 1970/71 Hemi and six pack replacement oil pan they fit and work very well up
I use them on every build i can now up
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: This oil pan? - 08/01/22 03:11 PM

It's a stock style replacement for the hemi/6 pack pan. Works great. I put one on a 440 I built last year that's in a '70 Challenger. up
Posted By: Brad_Haak

Re: This oil pan? - 08/01/22 03:25 PM

Arrow & circle points to where the spot weld broke on mine, which resulted in an oil leak from the hole behind the baffle only when engine was running. The Milodon version has "real" welds here, not sh!tty little spot welds like a high-school shop class.

EDIT: FWIW, there are two different Milodon "stock replacement" BB oil pans: one is the Street Hemi style and the other has a smaller (4 qt?) capacity.

Attached picture Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 11.18.56 AM.png
Posted By: tman

Re: This oil pan? - 08/01/22 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
It's a stock style replacement for the hemi/6 pack pan. Works great. I put one on a 440 I built last year that's in a '70 Challenger. up

Did you have to change the pickup too?
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: This oil pan? - 08/01/22 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by tman
Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda

Did you have to change the pickup too?

No. Used the stock pickup. It is literally a new copy of the original pan.
© 2024 Moparts Forums