Moparts

Modified oil pump failure

Posted By: WHITEDART

Modified oil pump failure - 04/05/17 12:57 AM

This weekend did not end up so good.. although I guess we could say it could have been worse.. the Car slow down almost for tenths on its last pass.. after picking up my losing time slip.. re fired the motor and noticed it didn't have any oil pressure.. and the starter really struggled to start it... I got it home.. remove the oil pump and found the oil pump Lane in the oil pan

Attached picture 20170404_154334.jpg

Re: Modified oil pump failure - 04/05/17 01:08 AM

One more

Attached picture 20170404_154342-1-1.jpg

Re: Modified oil pump failure - 04/05/17 01:12 AM

The two main caps that I have removed look perfect bearings are beautiful... five of the rods bearings are in great shape.. three of the rod bearings were to The Copper. And two of the rod caps show signs of heat...

Attached picture 20170404_154219.jpg
Posted By: greendart408

Re: Modified oil pump failure - 04/05/17 01:18 AM

Sorry about your misfortune, came out from it ok by the looks of it considering. Was the pump bottomed on that stud? Or just flat break in half for zero reason?
Posted By: onig

Re: Modified oil pump failure - 04/05/17 01:24 AM

Do you know why it broke? Was the pick up tube under stress and caused the casting to break off?
Posted By: scottb

Re: Modified oil pump failure - 04/05/17 01:44 AM

Sounds like you caught it just in time except for a couple rods and cleaning up the crank what kind of rods are you using

Re: Modified oil pump failure - 04/05/17 01:54 AM

Oliver rods and a king crank..there was no interference between the main cap and the oil pump... however the pump passage was greatly increased in size...
Posted By: mrsmallblock

Re: Modified oil pump failure - 04/05/17 02:38 AM

That is a shame but could have been worse. What are the specs on the Oliver rods?

Howard
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Modified oil pump failure - 04/05/17 02:48 AM

Sorry to see this but I'm glad you caught before things turned ugly
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Modified oil pump failure - 04/05/17 02:56 AM

Whats your peak oil pressure
wave
Posted By: jcc

Re: Modified oil pump failure - 04/05/17 03:03 AM

Not sure if this is the exact same problem, regardless worth checking whenever in the area, look at Pic #19

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbt...tml#Post1554264

IMO on further review, the enlarged oil passage likely was the initiator of this failure, by weakening the lower oil pump support structure.

edit #2 and the oil pan crushing wheel stand. grin

Re: Modified oil pump failure - 04/05/17 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By mrsmallblock
That is a shame but could have been worse. What are the specs on the Oliver rods?

Howard
6.250 long. 9.27 2.100

Re: Modified oil pump failure - 04/05/17 03:17 AM

Originally Posted By MR_P_BODY
Whats your peak oil pressure
wave
80lb at 8800
Posted By: mrsmallblock

Re: Modified oil pump failure - 04/05/17 03:18 AM

Okay. Thought i might be able to help you. I have 6 6.125x2.00x.927.

Howard
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Modified oil pump failure - 04/05/17 03:23 AM

Sorry it happened , but boy were you lucky. You were darn near tossing a rod out the side of the block

Re: Modified oil pump failure - 04/05/17 03:29 AM

When the motor first went into the car 200 passes ago it did a wheel stand and came down and crushed the oil pan. and hit the pick up.. pretty good.. after a very close inspection I chose to reuse the pump.. and actually shorten the pick up slightly.. so it wouldn't hit the pump.. if it happened again...that was 200 passes ago
Posted By: The Shadow

Re: Modified oil pump failure - 04/05/17 03:30 AM

Sure looks like the stud was hitting the pump but maybe Im seeing it wrong

Re: Modified oil pump failure - 04/05/17 03:39 AM

2 things.. whats the weight oil and what is the
minimum rpm you see 80#
wave
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Modified oil pump failure - 04/05/17 04:06 AM

Shiloh, maybe when the pan got crushed it may have fractured the pump & it finally broke off.

Re: Modified oil pump failure - 04/05/17 04:17 AM

Looking at it again.. you came down on the pan
and broke it
wave

Re: Modified oil pump failure - 04/05/17 04:20 AM

Originally Posted By MR_P_BODY
2 things.. whats the weight oil and what is the
minimum rpm you see 80#
wave
I run 10w30 Lucas synthetic.. and to be honest most of the racing I do is 1/8 Mile at night.. and it's very hard to get a bead on the gauges... from a few videos that I have watched... at speed the Gage is always around 80.... typically idles 1500rpm at 55lb hot

Re: Modified oil pump failure - 04/05/17 04:22 AM

Originally Posted By rickraw
Shiloh, maybe when the pan got crushed it may have fractured the pump & it finally broke off.
hey Rick good to see you around... and yes this has kind of been our thought to.... mr. P are you suspecting pressure
Posted By: qwkmopardan

Re: Modified oil pump failure - 04/05/17 06:21 PM

How big is the outlet hole opened up to? I allways open them to 1/2" and never had this happen. I have had pick-up tube break off and fall in the pan, but never the pump. I see yours has the pick-up in cover, just like the set-up in my Demon.
Posted By: poboyengineering

Re: Modified oil pump failure - 04/06/17 01:34 AM

The passage is way off center too. One more thing to check. I'll be looking at all of mine this weekend.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Modified oil pump failure - 04/06/17 05:50 AM

Sorry to see this after all of the other bs you went through man and hopefully it's repairable...........that thing flies and you should be proud of your efforts and results so far...... thumbs

Re: Modified oil pump failure - 04/06/17 06:58 AM

Originally Posted By qwkmopardan
How big is the outlet hole opened up to? I allways open them to 1/2" and never had this happen. I have had pick-up tube break off and fall in the pan, but never the pump. I see yours has the pick-up in cover, just like the set-up in my Demon.
mine was just a tick larger at 17/32...this oil pump has had a ruff ride..may the next one will have a belt..

Re: Modified oil pump failure - 04/06/17 07:05 AM

Originally Posted By Thumperdart
Sorry to see this after all of the other bs you went through man and hopefully it's repairable...........that thing flies and you should be proud of your efforts and results so far...... thumbs
the crank was fine I will ship the rods to Oliver... I think I can buy two and have them put new bushings and new bolts in the others.. I think I'm going to step up on compression... this motor was originally built for bracket racing. and e85 but I never expected it to run this fast.. now I'm caught up in the heads Up Racing stuff..so time will tell..
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Modified oil pump failure - 04/06/17 07:23 AM

Good news there........... thumbs Good luck man............
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Modified oil pump failure - 04/06/17 07:40 AM

Glad to hear it appears to be not so bad...No better time to step up the game than now.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Modified oil pump failure - 04/06/17 10:02 PM

It'd be informative to see if the rod's hardness (Rockwell or Brinell) changed due to the heating.

R.
Posted By: MattW

Re: Modified oil pump failure - 04/06/17 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By WHITEDART
This weekend did not end up so good.. although I guess we could say it could have been worse.. the Car slow down almost for tenths on its last pass.. after picking up my losing time slip.. re fired the motor and noticed it didn't have any oil pressure.. and the starter really struggled to start it... I got it home.. remove the oil pump and found the oil pump Lane in the oil pan

Is that a crack on the left where the oil pump cover bolt goes in?
Matt
Posted By: DusterKid

Re: Modified oil pump failure - 04/07/17 02:19 AM

You def caught it in time, could have been much worse. May not be a bad idea to install a oil pressure warning light in the future. I know a few people it helped saved from major damaged, myself included, b/c lets be real how often do we look at the oil press gauge unless something doesn't feel or sound right, but sometimes then it's to late...
© 2024 Moparts Forums