Moparts

1970 CUDA tail panel black paint.

Posted By: migsBIG

1970 CUDA tail panel black paint. - 06/23/23 12:34 AM

Since my Cuda is coming down to the final stretch at the Painter’s Palace, I needed to go pick up the main paint (thinking either Go mango or Vitamin C) and I needed the tail panel to be blacked out. Do we use a semi gloss black for that, or is there a more correct paint for the rear?

Attached picture IMG_5053.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_5054.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_8253.jpeg
Posted By: Neil

Re: 1970 CUDA tail panel black paint. - 06/23/23 03:14 AM

I want to say the black paint used by the factory on the tail panel area was textured organisol paint.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: 1970 CUDA tail panel black paint. - 06/23/23 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Neil
I want to say the black paint used by the factory on the tail panel area was textured organisol paint.

And you are 100 percent correct. Problem is Organisol was reproduced in many versions, so is tough to choose a suitable paint now.

Re: 1970 CUDA tail panel black paint. - 06/23/23 06:10 PM

I would contact Frank and see what they have.

https://www.rogergibsonautorestoration.com/frank/home/

Also there is this company as well.

https://8774paint1.com/collections/all/totally-auto

PPG used to sell a urethane version of it along with a texture additive that resembles fine talcum powder, but I've read they don't now? Not sure there...

Martin Senior has textured paint. https://rod-and-restoration-custom-color.martinsenour-autopaint.com/colors/PCRC18

Others on here have said they use Mar hyde paint or SEM paint and play with the paint gun settings to get a finish that looks acceptable.
Posted By: topside

Re: 1970 CUDA tail panel black paint. - 06/23/23 06:38 PM

That Martin Senour texture looks pretty good, and it's available in different shades & colors.
Up here where I live, NAPA carries it.
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: 1970 CUDA tail panel black paint. - 06/24/23 03:44 PM

Frank doesn't have any.
Here is an article that deals head on with what you are asking.
https://moparconnectionmagazine.com...oo-proper-oe-blackouts-on-comeback-cuda/

Re: 1970 CUDA tail panel black paint. - 06/24/23 05:17 PM

PPG DX1999 additive used in that article has been discontinued best I can tell. They do have an SL texture additive now that may accomplish the same thing?

More info in here from past discussions on this finish.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...ead/Board/19/main/92448/type/thread.html
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: 1970 CUDA tail panel black paint. - 06/24/23 10:24 PM

i used this when i painted my textured paint.

Attached picture 100_0793.JPG
Posted By: HEMICUDA

Re: 1970 CUDA tail panel black paint. - 06/25/23 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by MOPARMIKE69
Frank doesn't have any.

That's all good except they forgot the flake.

Re: 1970 CUDA tail panel black paint. - 06/25/23 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by HEMICUDA
Frank doesn't have any.

That's all good except they forgot the flake.
4 parts DCC 9355
3 parts DT reducer
1 part DCX 61 hardener
1 part DX 685 flattening additive
¼ ounce (per pint of mixed paint) DX 1999 texture additive
So help us out and list the flake you would use and the amount of it to make this formula work for all of us? Thanks

Re: 1970 CUDA tail panel black paint. - 06/25/23 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mr T2U

Not available anymore.

Re: 1970 CUDA tail panel black paint. - 07/16/23 06:46 PM

Thanks for the info everyone, I'm still looking at options as I'm waiting on paint and looking into some details.

Re: 1970 CUDA tail panel black paint. - 07/16/23 08:49 PM

FWIW - I still have some black organisol left over, and when I sprayed it, shooting it "dry" was the hot tip to get the texture right.
Easy to accomplish, since it's lacquer.
Posted By: BigDaddy440

Re: 1970 CUDA tail panel black paint. - 07/18/23 01:33 AM

My 70 Cuda is also in the paint shop nearly ready for color. Since I'm personally not looking for a perfectly accurate textured organisol look, I'm using a product called "Essentials". This will be my third time using this product and I much prefer it over the original organisol due to cost and ease of care. Below you can see a photo of my A12 hood painted with Essentials. At the end of the article that MoparMike linked, they actually try using another affordable product called SEM Trim Black, which they modified to get a similar look to organisol with great results. Point being, if you're willing to forego actual organisol, you've got options! And in my opinion your wallet and future-self will thank you every time you dry your car after washing it.

[Linked Image][/url]

I'm using the Essentials (pictured here on my old Roadrunner) on my Cuda's rear tail panel, AAR spoiler, hood, and even the car's dash frame. The Essentials has a satin sheen, not flat, and is smooth to the touch. It's scratch resistant and easy to dry.
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: 1970 CUDA tail panel black paint. - 07/18/23 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Mr T2U

Not available anymore.

i still have over 1 qt of it.
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: 1970 CUDA tail panel black paint. - 01/26/24 02:30 PM

Any updates on the tail panel paint? I am in the need for some too. Thanks.
Posted By: Tommy The Chryco

Re: 1970 CUDA tail panel black paint. - 01/26/24 04:32 PM

www.tommythechryco.ca

Re: 1970 CUDA tail panel black paint. - 02/13/24 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy The Chryco

aerosol/can, mix to use, amount? Need a little more info buddy.

Re: 1970 CUDA tail panel black paint. - 02/13/24 04:36 PM

Migs - judging by teh way the size is listed on his website, I'd guess it's a pint can - not an aerosol.

More than enough for a couple 'Cuda tail panels.
Posted By: 67vertman

Re: 1970 CUDA tail panel black paint. - 02/13/24 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by topside
Migs - judging by teh way the size is listed on his website, I'd guess it's a pint can - not an aerosol.

More than enough for a couple 'Cuda tail panels.

When I did mine, I used 4oz and had plenty left over.

When I did my grill and front valance with Totally Auto aerosol cans, I used 1 full and about a quarter of another can.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: 1970 CUDA tail panel black paint. - 02/14/24 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by BigDaddy440
My 70 Cuda is also in the paint shop nearly ready for color. Since I'm personally not looking for a perfectly accurate textured organisol look, I'm using a product called "Essentials". This will be my third time using this product and I much prefer it over the original organisol due to cost and ease of care. Below you can see a photo of my A12 hood painted with Essentials. At the end of the article that MoparMike linked, they actually try using another affordable product called SEM Trim Black, which they modified to get a similar look to organisol with great results. Point being, if you're willing to forego actual organisol, you've got options! And in my opinion your wallet and future-self will thank you every time you dry your car after washing it.

[Linked Image][/url]

I'm using the Essentials (pictured here on my old Roadrunner) on my Cuda's rear tail panel, AAR spoiler, hood, and even the car's dash frame. The Essentials has a satin sheen, not flat, and is smooth to the touch. It's scratch resistant and easy to dry.

Do you have a link for the Essentials paint?
Posted By: moparmike1

Re: 1970 CUDA tail panel black paint. - 02/18/24 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by 6PakBee

[Linked Image][/url]

Do you have a link for the Essentials paint?

BigDaddy440 could be referring to PPG's line known as Delfleet Essential:

https://www.ppg.com/refinish/en-US/products/delfleet-essential

Hopefully he responds to confirm.
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: 1970 CUDA tail panel black paint. - 02/20/24 02:01 AM

It is the Delfleet Essential line of paint. I saw it after rewatching Roadkill Garage, episode with the Vanishing Paint Challenger...S3E13 I believe. They paint the fiberglass TA hood with it. The code on the gallon container is ESSS911678. Should be flat black.

Re: 1970 CUDA tail panel black paint. - 02/20/24 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by roadrunninMark
It is the Delfleet Essential line of paint. I saw it after rewatching Roadkill Garage, episode with the Vanishing Paint Challenger...S3E13 I believe. They paint the fiberglass TA hood with it. The code on the gallon container is ESSS911678. Should be flat black.

I painted my whole car "Hot Rod" black (satin) I didn't thin the paint, added hardener and sprayed it. It came out textured like Organosol.

Attached picture 100_3317_zps17597314 (1).jpg

Re: 1970 CUDA tail panel black paint. - 02/29/24 04:04 AM

Hey guys, sorry...YES the "Essentials" product I was referring to is the Delfleet Essential Line from PPG. I had to confirm with my friend who painted my hood. He would just say "Essenitals" so that is where there was some confusion. Hopefully I can provide a product number or code for the exact product he used and how he mixes it soon.

-Dan

Re: 1970 CUDA tail panel black paint. - 03/03/24 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by 67vertman

I painted my whole car "Hot Rod" black (satin) I didn't thin the paint, added hardener and sprayed it. It came out textured like Organosol.

that might work on a duster I want to do some mods on.

Re: 1970 CUDA tail panel black paint. - 03/03/24 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by migsBIG
Originally Posted by 67vertman

that might work on a duster I want to do some mods on.

I used an 017 tip. It took a long time to spray to keep the "tiger striping" down. I will take some close up pictures when i get a chance.

Re: 1970 CUDA tail panel black paint. - 03/06/24 05:01 AM

Hey guys, sorry...YES the "Essentials" product I was referring to is the Delfleet Essential Line from PPG. I had to confirm with my friend who painted my hood. He would just say "Essenitals" so that is where there was some confusion. Hopefully I can provide a product number or code for the exact product he used and how he mixes it soon.

I was told over the phone that the Delfleet Essential product that was used on both my hoods was their "Satin Black" color. I cannot find a satin black option or product code anywhere for the Essential line. Maybe someone can post their results with the flat black. If someone finds a source for Satin Black, please post it here.
Posted By: UCUDANT

Re: 1970 CUDA tail panel black paint. - 03/06/24 06:50 PM

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...rrect-examples-of-organisol-texture.html

Re: 1970 CUDA tail panel black paint. - 03/07/24 12:00 AM

That SW Planet Color textured back on your red Barracuda hood sure looks good. Even if it's not exactly like the original stuff I think it's totally worth looking into.

Re: 1970 CUDA tail panel black paint. - 03/11/24 01:53 AM

Here is a good video on painting with Mopar black ORGANOSOL ppg dcc 9355 This was made be my friend Cody, I had forgotten about it, until tonight.

Re: 1970 CUDA tail panel black paint. - 03/11/24 01:54 AM

Video II

© 2024 Moparts Forums