Moparts

I need correct examples of organisol texture

Posted By: UCUDANT

I need correct examples of organisol texture - 07/26/11 02:31 PM

Can anyone posta few close up pics to help me make sure we get my black out paint for my tail panel and V21 hood correct. Car is a hamtramck built 1972 Cuda built late 71.

The following example was taken from Ebay and I am told it's to much texture but it's a good starting point for a baraometer shows the texture and is apparently to heavy. Hows the color/shine/sheen?

Attached picture 6747331-6720143-organisol.jpg
Posted By: BradD

Re: I need correct example of organisol texture - 07/26/11 03:15 PM

Here is my 72 rallye challenger with the original PPG Organisol formula painted in 1992. With our 60 years of autobody experience in a small Mopar factory town, I believe this is the correct look for organisol! I also have an original AAR cuda hood, with the original paint, which came off of my brothers car in 1974.

Brad

Attached picture 6747404-72ebodytail.JPG

Re: I need correct examples of organisol texture - 07/26/11 05:47 PM

Brad I can't thank you enough. Does wax pose a problem on the PPG paint? If not if you have the code for that exact paint that would be cool.
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: I need correct example of organisol texture - 07/26/11 06:22 PM

Quote:

Brad I can't thank you enough. Does wax pose a problem on the PPG paint? If not if you have the code for that exact paint that would be cool.

Wax always causes a problem for this type of finish. Just don't use it. Use polish and tape off the edge of the paint if you have to. That is just the nature of the beast.

Attached picture 6747661-MoparNats2007006.jpg
Posted By: intragration

Re: I need correct example of organisol texture - 07/26/11 06:51 PM

Does someone have a picture from further out of the tail panel? Those close-ups look more like a very dark argent, the hood looks more like flat black. Just trying to get an idea if my tail panel looks even close to what it's supposed to from a distance. They initially painted it gloss black.
Posted By: floyd

Re: I need correct example of organisol texture - 07/26/11 08:52 PM

Here are a couple more close-ups of original organasol on a TA/AAR hood

Attached picture 6747852-originalorganasol.jpg
Posted By: floyd

Re: I need correct example of organisol texture - 07/26/11 08:53 PM

another

Attached picture 6747853-originalorganasol4.jpg

Re: I need correct example of organisol texture - 07/27/11 02:35 AM

Thank you for the replies

Another thread had reported that Roger Gibson has a Eurothane organisol paint. This was great news. I got to speak with Roger today at length. He has a wealth of experience and was nice enough to discuss allot of what he knew with me, super guy. He is still in the developement stages with this product.. My hat is off to Roger. Thanks for spending about 40 minutes of your day to help me.

I may have some news to report on yet another textured Eurothane paint... My friend Garry stopped by to see Bill my friend/painter to pick up a color chart for me tonight... I will see it at work in the morning.
Garry has seen the examples of textured organisol, he just called to say he thinks this is it. Since results vary with the original I am willing to try to update to a waxable equivilant.....keep your fingers crossed
Posted By: Silver70

Re: I need correct example of organisol texture - 07/27/11 08:22 AM

I'll try and post some pics soon of one just done with the original formula. My dad was a painter in the 70s and knows his laquer and he followed the bulletin... I was suprised how rough it was, however I could run a wet paper towel over it and it didn't leave a lot of fiber like I expected.

I will say this though, unless you want it to be totally correct, I'd go with a flattened urethane... because the organisol is a pain to keep clean!

Re: I need correct example of organisol texture - 07/27/11 05:24 PM

I am aiming for more of a Semi gloss/Matt black not flat, I'd like it to mirror the sheen of the side stripe and be able to resist wax as well. My painter is going to test shoot some of the attached sample

Attached picture 6749249-DSCF0450.JPG

Re: I need correct example of organisol texture - 07/27/11 05:31 PM

Another view... what do you think? Think it'll be close enough?

Attached picture 6749262-Untitled.jpg

Re: I need correct example of organisol texture - 07/27/11 11:15 PM

PPG Concept Urethane is the latest version we have used.
Not exactly like the original lacquer, but looks close when applied correctly.
My brother said he over reduced it, laid 2 wet coats, then came back with a drop coat at lower air pressure to get an acceptable look.

Brad

Attached picture 6749778-Organisol.jpg
Posted By: Silver70

Re: I need correct example of organisol texture - 07/28/11 12:17 AM

Truthfully from the research I read on here and what I've seen... there's just so many variations. It's hard to say what is correct or if there even is a correct. I saw originals that were very smooth and others like pictured that were much more course. I'm far from an expert on it, but my opinion is that it's much easier to clean and keep clean if its more on the smooth side and definetly what I would prefer.

Re: I need correct example of organisol texture - 07/28/11 11:47 AM

although it does vary, I can that as soon as I saw Brads example Brads tail panel I knew it was dead on what I had seen years ago

Re: I need correct example of organisol texture - 07/28/11 12:30 PM

Another option is the reflective version. I believe this is really just a higher level of shine/sheen

Attached picture 6750559-DSCF0454.JPG

Re: I need correct example of organisol texture - 07/28/11 12:31 PM

Attached picture 6750560-DSCF0457.JPG
Posted By: AdamR

Re: I need correct example of organisol texture - 07/28/11 12:42 PM

http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/HRF295.aspx
Posted By: sogtx

Re: I need correct example of organisol texture - 07/29/11 12:51 AM

Alwats looking for a better product, i have wasted. soooo much dcc9355

Re: I need correct example of organisol texture - 08/03/11 01:30 AM

This is a test panel sprayed with the textured black previously shown (not the reflective version)

Attached picture 6760066-DSCF0461.JPG

Re: I need correct example of organisol texture - 08/03/11 01:30 AM

Closer view

Attached picture 6760069-DSCF0462.JPG
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: I need correct example of organisol texture - 08/03/11 03:41 AM

Ucudant whose organsol is that?

Mike

Attached picture 6760356-organsol.JPG

Re: I need correct example of organisol texture - 08/03/11 04:17 AM

I think this is it http://www.planetcolor.com/en/Products/~/media/Shared/Planet-Color/catalog.ashx about 15 pages in. He said the "reflective" has too much shine in daylight...I think he is right. We are using the regular black texture. And Dayclona I really want to see your 72 Cuda pics. Can you take them to get scanned somewhere pleeeeaaassseeee?
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: I need correct example of organisol texture - 08/03/11 05:12 AM

How do you get price on it?

Re: I need correct example of organisol texture - 08/03/11 11:49 AM

340SIX I'd recommend calling your local paint houses to see who your closest distributors are.

I am pretty sure he said you mix in the texture powder yourself so you can experiment with the degree if texture desired. I had him describe how he shot it and it was straight forward off the directions reduced %50... so I guess you could vary that to test results as well

Re: I need correct example of organisol texture - 08/03/11 04:35 PM

What brand is the chip set from? etc #
Posted By: ThermoQuad

Re: I need correct example of organisol texture - 08/04/11 11:31 AM

The original texture additive for DDL9355 has been long gone for years. DDL means lacquer paint.

The current texture additive is smaller in size.
You can still buy DDL 9355 from the ppg store

DCC is a urethane paint and has no texture additive.

To the OP:
unless you have original paint the correct texture is made of unobtanium.

Since the tech archives suck here I will repost the painting process and a pic of real organisol that I sprayed about 2 years ago.

Organisol paint is never waxed.

Organisol Black Revised 11-2010
DDL9355

Disclaimer: I am no expert, but I am a painter and I have done my fair share of wresting with this paint. I have no experience putting DDL9355 over catalyzed paints as I was taught the arts when lacquer and enamel were all we had. When I paint it now it’s always on a primer or black lacquer surface The problem I see is this lacquer paint wants to be put in wet and thin which means a lot of solvent will try to bite into the enamel or urethane surface it’s being applied to.

You must lay the paint down wet or the texture will stand up instead of lay down and you will have an extremely rough finish that attracts everything.
Paint surfaces horizontal if possible

Use the slowest thinner and add some retarder as well if it is above 80 degrees. If possible use over black primer like DP90

Patience.

Allow surfaces to dry for at least 30 days before painting cover coats. This is important.
Works best painted over a black painted surface
Black DP90 is ok but black paint is better

Put 2 light but wet cover coats of semi gloss black lacquer over colored primers
Allow to dry at least 24 hrs or more before organosoling,

Use a gun with a big tip 1.6mm or larger

Cross coat the large area surfaces in 3 directions –eliminates streaking of texture diag first, short length, long length with large overlapping passes. It must go on wet!

Test spray before committing to car. Practice a little. Use SLOW thinner !!!! Lay on WET!
Patience!!!!! Thin 125%, 150% last 2 coats

After getting full coverage of texture typically 4 coats thin each progressive coat to 150% Use your judgment Think about 6 -8 coats.

Allow each coat to dry for at least 30 min.
Patience.

Texture must cover surface completely-there should be no gaps in the texture. The purpose of laying it on cross coating & wet is to get the texture to lay down flat.

Edge it in with a touch up gun first

Use fine line tape on all paint edge breaks

Do the bottom side of the hood first-part of your practice

Paint all other surfaces at the same time as the top side of the hood.

Across the tops of the fender & across the front header panel be sure to add 1-2 extra coats of Organosol to resist wear of the paint from stones, fender covers etc..

Attached picture 6762375-Jan2009032.jpg

Re: I need correct example of organisol texture - 08/04/11 01:47 PM

Quote:

What brand is the chip set from? etc #

Planet color, PCR2 Black Texture Durable (High wear) See the Rugged Toned on page 15 here http://www.planetcolor.com/en/Products/~/media/Shared/Planet-Color/catalog.ashx not sure if they are owned by a larger parent paint company.

Attached picture 6762529-MVC-021S.JPG

Re: I need correct example of organisol texture - 08/04/11 01:55 PM

Thanks Tom, this info should go in the tech archives. Roger Gibson is doing some testing with Eurothane products to try to duplicate the organisol finish. I had read an earlier post with your organisol painting tips but I needed a eurothane to be safe. Thanks to those in the know willing to take there time to share this info... Thank you Sir. My Car was shot yesterday.

Attached picture 6762538-MVC-019S.JPG

Re: I need correct example of organisol texture - 08/04/11 02:17 PM

Looks good from here!

Re: I need correct example of organisol texture - 08/06/11 05:55 PM

sure looks nice
I figure that the paint was owned buy a larger paint company like SW or the paint Napa sells etc. thus me asking who
Thanks for the info so it could be had localy

Re: I need correct example of organisol texture - 08/07/11 04:40 PM

Attached picture 6767578-DSCF0479.JPG
Posted By: Neil

Re: I need correct example of organisol texture - 08/08/11 01:10 AM

Looks nice!
© 2024 Moparts Forums