Moparts

RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences?

Posted By: NV69B7RR

RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 12/23/11 02:58 AM

After using my RPM I thought I'd share what I have found while using it, and would like to hear what other people have experienced.

It goes on well once the parts are warmed up, per the directions.

It helps to polish the part first with course steel wool for a better after RPM finish.

The part has got to be completely clean of any grease, because it mixes with the grease and causes streaking. Throw away your brush if that happens.

It doesn't seem to like getting hot again after being applied. I had this problem doing two sided parts and a heat gun. Left a dull finish that doesn't seem to polish out like normal.

My tub of RPM is not really a soft paste, its more like semi hard candle wax. I have to use a razor blade to shave some before application with a brush.

I'm really happy with the product and the results it gives. It makes a correct looking restoration easier, especially since you don't have to mask and paint everything. My off road racing buddies really think its as great as sliced bread since most of their car is natural metal. Although I cautioned them about having to weld on it later, as I don't know if that possible. Anybody else have any experiences they want to share?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 12/23/11 04:07 AM

Ive used it and have had fantastic results. Last winter I used it on a pair of 69 charger disc brake spindles I was selling and did a one week test with them out in the weather after applying it. The only spot of flash rusting that I could see is where I must not have put it on that well and that was only on one part. The stuff held up extremely well in rain, sleet, and snow as well as freezing temps. Looking forward to using all the time now.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 12/23/11 06:10 AM

What is this stuff?
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 12/23/11 06:34 AM

This is RPM.

It's a newly introduced bare metal rust preventative coating product that Dave Waldon of ECS developed. For those that have been using cast blast iron/steel type paint products this stuff is a game changer! Dave used his top scoring OE Gold 1970 Valiant as a test bed for it with amazing results!

Since it's only been on the market a short time there won't likely be many testimonials about it's virtues but believe me, I've been using it on all kinds of stuff and so far it's been an awesome product.

At any rate it's proven good enough so far that I feel comfortable reccomending anyone who's interested should give it a try, a little goes a long way and at around $30.00 there's enough in one can to treat all of the raw metal parts on an entire car.

I am currently performing some long term environmental tests on some parts and will post the results next summer sometime. Stay tuned!

Attached picture 6980298-RPM.gif
Posted By: RestoRick

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 12/23/11 01:44 PM

Quote:

My tub of RPM is not really a soft paste, its more like semi hard candle wax. I have to use a razor blade to shave some before application with a brush.

Although I cautioned them about having to weld on it later, as I don't know if that possible. Anybody else have any experiences they want to share?

You can slightly warm the top surface of the product in the tub for more aggressive pickup on to the brush.

A wipe with lacquer thinner or acetone will remove it well enough to weld.

I'm a distributor of RPM...
Rust Prevention Magic

It recently received a SEMA award as well!
(see attachment)

Attached File
Posted By: cudaize

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 12/23/11 03:28 PM

Has anyone ever accidently got this on a part that they wanted to paint? Is it like a silicone based product where you would end up with fisheyes etc.

Mike Afflerbach
Posted By: cudaize

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 12/23/11 03:39 PM

Another question along the lines of my question above would be what process to use for parts that are half painted such as oil pans and alternator pulleys. Do you mask, paint then treat with RPM or do you RPM first then mask and paint?

Mike Afflerbach

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 12/23/11 04:09 PM

Quote:

Another question along the lines of my question above would be what process to use for parts that are half painted such as oil pans and alternator pulleys. Do you mask, paint then treat with RPM or do you RPM first then mask and paint?

Mike Afflerbach

No, it's not silicone based.

For partially painted items, it's best to do the painted portions first, then apply the RPM. Overlap the RPM slightly onto the painted surface.
After drying, the RPM can be polished back if needed.
The painted area could also be masked off if the component is such that a clean mask line is appropriate or feasible.

Rick
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 12/23/11 04:22 PM

has anyone applied it to any plated parts. Not chrome but some of the yellow cad or black phosphate items?

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 12/23/11 06:50 PM

Quote:

has anyone applied it to any plated parts. Not chrome but some of the yellow cad or black phosphate items?

I've applied it over gun bluing. There was no streaking or discoloring at all. I rinsed off, or wiped off with a wet towel, the gun blue and then dried the part before applying RPM over it. Worked great!

Attached picture 6980886-6969650-dnhagrs.JPG
Posted By: kidmopar

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 12/23/11 09:20 PM

I've been using it on some of my tools that don't get used that often IE:(punches , chisels , etc. ) Works AWESOME!
Posted By: burdar

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 12/24/11 12:04 AM

When I first started using it, I noticed some streaking. I figured out that I was just applying it too heavily. I reheated the parts and lightly wiped off the excess with a towel.

I recently used it on my 8 3/4 center section. I replicated all the inspection marks first. Then I applied the RPM over the paint. I didn't brush around the paint markings but brushed right over top of them. I just got done using it on my center link, strut rods, spindles and tie rod ends. I'd say I've used not quite 1/2 the container so far with everything I've done. It will definatley do an entire car.

It is fairly time consuming using a heat gun on the larger parts. For someone who has multiple cars to do, I think investing in a used oven to heat the parts would be worth while.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 12/24/11 12:11 AM

This whole tube and lever is coated with it

I heated it in the oven( don't tell the wife )

Attached picture 6981304-102_2754.JPG

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 12/24/11 12:22 AM

Hi guys,

Thought I would join in on the discussion and bring everyone up to speed on RPM. We were pleased to win one of SEMA's highest awards for new products. There were over 2000 new product entries at this years SEMA show. Thank you Rick for posting the press release.

As we enter into the new year the RPM Line will be expanding. We have updated the RPM container for a new retail look to go along with several discussions we are engaged in. The container holds the same amount of product (8 oz.) as before but is a stronger and more compact container. It has a metal lid and a clear container so you can see the product. RPM itself is still the same great product.

I've included a picture of the new RPM container plus the other products that will be entering the lineup. This week the TV marketing people visited our facility to work on the details of some upcoming infomercials for RPM and the new product AMMO ( Avoid Menacing Metal Oxidation ). Ammo is aimed at the home market for Stainless Steel appliances. Anyone else have stainless steel that fingerprints? Not anymore. It will also protect Aluminum, and Brass with a dovetail into the gun industry.

Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 12/24/11 12:56 AM

Tom--are any of these product suitable for polished aluminum wheels? (not clear coated)

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 12/24/11 01:08 AM

And to think a 4 door Valiant started it all!!

You guys are going to get rich off of this, congrats!!

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 12/24/11 01:16 AM

BTW, so far in my experiments it works great at protecting newly restored carburetors from oxidizing and tarnishing

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 12/24/11 01:38 AM

Quote:

Tom--are any of these product suitable for polished aluminum wheels? (not clear coated)

Hi Greg,

I'll answer this with RPM since it's available today. Steve Been who was part of the "Project Valiant" Team has a set of non coated aluminum wheels on this Ram Truck. It was common practice to require polishing about every 10 days to 2 weeks to keep them looking good. After the show he polished them up and applied RPM . He's been a year without repolish and they still look great. As a side benefit he says the brake dust just washes off without scrubbing. The trucks been driven coast to coast picking up project cars so it's not a Sunday only project. Check out the website for more information www.ECSautomotive.com

Rpm will work on magnesium wheels also. I've used it on saw blades but I think quitar strings is the most unique application so far.

Lots of great comments so far. Yes, the Valiant was the test bed for RPM but remember that it was created out of necessity for us because we needed bare metal protection and could not find anything suitable in the market that met our criteria.

Have a great Christmas and enjoy the holidays.

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 12/24/11 03:06 AM

I really like the look of the new packaging. I'm not a fan of the plastic container. It looks kind of cheap and the inner section spins inside the outer shell when I screw the lid back on. I have no complaints with the product itself.

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 12/24/11 03:20 AM

I also concur on the packaging, good move!

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 12/24/11 03:31 AM

Quote:

I really like the look of the new packaging. I'm not a fan of the plastic container. It looks kind of cheap and the inner section spins inside the outer shell when I screw the lid back on. I have no complaints with the product itself.

Hi Darren,
Thanks for the feedback on the container, we were seeing the same thing on some containers. I think you will find the new container more robust. It's made of a different,stronger material and is a single wall construction vs the old two piece. Combine it with the new metal lid and you won't see any dimensional change in the container. The new container rolls into production next week.
Posted By: flypaper

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 12/24/11 04:02 AM

i decided to try it out and i just put a order in for some a few days ago..
i wonder if i will get the old or new packaging?
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 12/24/11 01:50 PM

Im curious as to why anyone would apply it on painted parts? Whats the goal?

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 12/24/11 02:33 PM

I think the main issue is with inspection marks. Since you can't paint over RPM, you have to reapply the inspection marks before hand. I havn't had any issues with RPMing over the paint.

The RPM should also add a layer of protection to the paint. If the paint isn't applied very thick your part could start rusting again. Applying the RPM over the paint would protect against that.
Posted By: kielbasa

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 12/24/11 03:42 PM

I am currently restomodding my AAR and have been using the stuff on all the natural pieces. We'll see how it holds up and prevents corrosion, seems awesome so far! I have been spending a lot more time in the kitchen lately (using wifey's oven and cookie sheets) - preheat my parts to 180~200 degF and have fun brushing parts with the kids.
Make sure you have good light to work with, much easier to see if the workpiece receives complete coverage, easy to miss a spot if you have poor lighting.
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 12/24/11 04:11 PM

this might sound silly but i gotta ask. how do you know when the to-be-treated object is hot enough. the instructions say 120 but is that just a 'close enough' number? can you tell by how it flows?
Posted By: Gavin

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 12/24/11 06:13 PM

Quote:

I have been spending a lot more time in the kitchen lately (using wifey's oven and cookie sheets) - preheat my parts to 180~200 degF and have fun brushing parts with the kids.

I have to ask - doesn't this stink the kitchen out? If not then I will do this myself - I had a problem doing my steering box, couldn't get the whole thing warm enough and ended up applying to a small area at a time and using the heat gun - but I don't think this has really achieved the job, I think I need to heat it all up and it will melt properly and leave the finish I've achieved on smaller parts.

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 12/24/11 06:34 PM

RPM will stink the kitchen up if i do bigger pieces, so i learned to take the pieces out of the oven (with her oven mitts) and go into garage quickly before part cools off.
now if you begin putting dirty, greasy parts in the oven, THEY may stink the kitchen up - i have so far only been baking sandblasted, cleaned parts which have no odor.
i will be in a dilemna when i have to do "dirty" parts - then i may have to invest in an old oven to put in the garage.
i also found that the RPM works best when i have the oven preheated to 200 degF, if i set it at 180 it's marginal.

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 12/24/11 06:43 PM

I bought a cheap old garage sale oven ($25 bucks and works like a charm!) and keep it in back of the shop for such jobs. Plus, added bonus....I have no wife to worry about

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 12/24/11 06:45 PM

Quote:

this might sound silly but i gotta ask. how do you know when the to-be-treated object is hot enough. the instructions say 120 but is that just a 'close enough' number? can you tell by how it flows?

Hi Everyone,

I'm seeing a lot of great questions about RPM. I'll try and give the short version on a couple I have seen.

1. How hot does the part need to be?
We recommend above 120 degrees. After you practice on a test piece you'll find the ratio of heat to product flowing.When the part is warmed you will notice that RPM flows when applied. I use a heat gun but we have people who have used hair dryers, ovens, radiant heat, even putting the part out in the sun during the summer. I don't recomment torches or flame type heat since we don't need the part glowing red and most flames will leave residue and soot. On large pieces you can work in sections. We treated the driveshaft by heating about a 12-18 inch section and working from one end to the other. Remember always wear appropiate protection when handling warmed parts. Don't forget adequate ventilation.

2. Painting over RPM.
Most paint manufacturers recommend natural clean surfaces for adhesion. If you oiled a part then tried to paint over it you wouldn't get great results. Even painting some paints over other paints isn't satisfactory ( laquer vs enamel).

3. RPM over paint.
RPM will provide an additional layer of protection. As pointed out above sometimes you see corrosion on painted parts. I recently treated a K-Frame on a late model builder project for additional protection. Most paints will withstand the normal heat range that you use to apply RPM

All great questions. Thanks for everyone passing on their own personal techniques.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 12/24/11 06:55 PM

Quote:

i found that the temp is warm enough when the RPM looks "wet" once you brush it on - it brushes on granular if not warm enough.

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 12/26/11 07:49 PM

i found that the temp is warm enough when the RPM looks "wet" once you brush it on - it brushes on granular if not warm enough.

Great tip !

I find it works good to have the heat gun in one hand and the RPM brush in the other. Use the heat as needed to keep the surface temp up so the product flows when applied. RPM goes on glossy which helps you verify you get complete coverage then dries to a satin finish. RPM can also be reheated once applied to blend in or remove excess product.

Using the heat gun for a quick blast( 2-3 seconds) into the RPM container will soften the product if you feel you need to apply a larger amount. We have found that heating the part works best for application so it flows when applied. Different metals retain heat differently ( a cast part with more mass vs a sheet metal part cool at differnt rates)

Does anyone have any non automotive uses for RPM?
Posted By: DartGTS

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 12/27/11 06:51 AM

Hello:
I been following this product for a while now and thinking about ordering some to use on my son's 68 Road Runner.
Apparently the part has to be heated for proper
adhesion...then can be reheated if need to make a change on it.
My question which may already be answered...How well does it stand up in a hot engine compartment..or if used on hot parts such as exhaust manifolds??
Regardless of the answer I will probaly order anyway....looks to good to pass up on for much longer.

Maynard

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 12/27/11 07:55 AM

Hi Maynard,

Heating the part allows RPM to flow out when applied with the brush( which we supply with the product). A heat gun or hair dryer will provide enough heat to warm the part. We have used RPM on the head pipe of Project Valiant for corrosion protection. Exhaust manifolds are a completely different heat profile approaching 1000 degrees and while we haven't tested this area I would have reservations.

We have several people reporting they have used RPM on aluminum carbs ( AVS-AFB) to prevent that white corrosion on aluminum. RPM works great on suspension, cast and stamped parts plus sheet metal in the bare areas under the dash and shelf panel. Got a set of non coated aluminum wheels? It works great to retain that polished look that goes away so quick with out protection.

Thanks for the question
PS - always great to have a shout out to a fellow GTS owner( LS27P9B)
Posted By: DartGTS

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 12/27/11 01:40 PM

Hello Tom:
Yeah I had my doubts about the exhaust manifolds. I might have tried it, but thats not my favorite part to redo if it don't work out. LOL
However I do have an older pair or Ansen Slot Mags (5on4 7x14)I been thinking of cleaning up and selling might give it a shot on them.
OK on the GTS owners we got the best of the Darts.

Maynard
Posted By: 71redcuda

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 12/29/11 04:49 PM

Im thinking i maby could use RPM on the clamps/heads of the battery cables..

Have anyone tried?

What color/shade should the heads have from factory?

Are the heads made of bare metal or did they have some kind of coating or other material?

If i clean them off with steel wool and then put on the RPM i afraid to get a wrong shade/color on the heads..

I want it to look original.

Nicklas

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 01/06/12 05:24 AM

How do you remove RPM from metal?
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 01/07/12 02:23 AM

Quote:

possibly paint stripper or lacquer thinner, but since you can't see RPM after proper application, it would be difficult to tell if you got it all off. Maybe try one of those hot caustic tanks that machine shops use? Any other ideas?

Tav
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 01/07/12 02:28 AM

Quote:

Hi
We have several people reporting they have used RPM on aluminum carbs ( AVS-AFB) to prevent that white corrosion on aluminum.

My great uncle bought a V8 Ford in 1938. We don't drive it very often, and the inside of the fuel pump filled up with that white corrosion stuff. It's an aluminum pump that comes apart into two halves with a rubber diaphram in between. Could I use RPM inside the fuel pump?

Is RPM fuel resistant? (I'm guessing so if they're using it on carbs, but maybe they're only using it on the outside?)

Tav
Posted By: 68427vette

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 01/07/12 09:52 AM

do MOPARTS members get a discount???

i sandblast for several hot rod/resto shops , i cant wait to get some!!
do you have a distributor in columbus ohio? home of mopars..

jc

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 01/07/12 10:31 PM

Quote:

Lacquer thinner, acetone or similar.
Paint stripper isn't necessary...

Inside a fuel pump- no... the RPM would likely be dissolved by the fuel and possibly cause clogging problems.

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 01/07/12 10:53 PM

Thanks Rick!
Posted By: chrisf

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 01/08/12 03:24 AM

i have a customer that builds rolling chassis for 5-6-7 chevies with vette suspensions. i blast all the aluminum stuff with 100-200 grit glass and were going to try the rpm for the blasted stuff to see how it hold up. its nice and smooth once its blasted and he just wants to keep it from oxidizing as they want to leave them unpainted.
perfect test for it i would think.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 01/08/12 06:16 AM

Quote:

do MOPARTS members get a discount???

Considering Dave has been banned numerous times I highly doubt it ...
Posted By: kentj340

Re: RPM users, care to share tips/ experiences? - 06/28/21 05:54 AM

RPM wax definitely blackens phosphated fasteners and small parts and makes them look much better than phosphated alone or phosphated and coated with grease or oil. Most hair driers should be capable of heating small parts enough to reach the melting point of about 120 degrees. For large parts you may need an oven.

You will want to make the hair drier operate hands free by propping it up somehow and holding the parts in front of it with pliers or similar. I swiped a wire stand from one of my flashlights, drilled two holes in the front end of the hair drier, and clamped the stand to my work table. A smaller 1" brush is better for small parts instead of the supplied 2-3" brush. Keeping the RPM container near the heated zone softens the wax and allows a heated brush to be coated. Like paint, you can brush off excess wax on the rim of the container.

Attached picture IMG_1481.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1480 (2).jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums