05/30/11 10:09 AM
05/30/11 10:09 AM
MB,CAN
PC-CHARGER Offline
super stock
PC-CHARGER  Offline
super stock

MB,CAN
You're correct. The valve bodies that do not have low band apply must not have a trans brake. So that would indicate that all trans brake valve bodies that utilize the front clutch to activate the trans brake are also low band apply units. I never realized this until you mentioned the two clutches applied. Thanks

As for the brake applying the front clutch and the rear band, are you sure of this or does the brake simply apply the front clutch and the band is applied through the manual valve movement? I guess an easy way to check would be to have the trans in neutral and push the brake button. If the car backs up, then it would indicate that the brake applies both but if is does nothing, then it would only be applying the front clutch, correct?

Re: Wrecked the car today! **Diag** Pics [Re: PC-CHARGER] #997307
05/30/11 10:25 AM
05/30/11 10:25 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

You're correct. The valve bodies that do not have low band apply must not have a trans brake. So that would indicate that all trans brake valve bodies that utilize the front clutch to activate the trans brake are also low band apply units. I never realized this until you mentioned the two clutches applied. Thanks

As for the brake applying the front clutch and the rear band, are you sure of this or does the brake simply apply the front clutch and the band is applied through the manual valve movement? I guess an easy way to check would be to have the trans in neutral and push the brake button. If the car backs up, then it would indicate that the brake applies both but if is does nothing, then it would only be applying the front clutch, correct?

Mine(non low band apply)wont do anything if in neutral
and hitting the button.... T/A manual reverse pattern

Re: Wrecked the car today! **Diag** Pics [Re: MR_P_BODY] #997308
05/30/11 10:44 AM
05/30/11 10:44 AM
MB,CAN
PC-CHARGER Offline
super stock
PC-CHARGER  Offline
super stock

MB,CAN
Thanks Mike, but this raises yet another question. You say yours is a non LBA valve body with a brake, yet what Stephen pointed out is that if you don't have the band on and you press the brake button with the manual lever in a forward postion, you basically have high gear since the sprag does not hold when both clutches are applied. I believe he is correct but if your valve body is indeed a non LBA with a brake, then I'm not sure what to assume. I thought the T/A units utilized the front clutch as the holding member but maybe not?

Re: Wrecked the car today! **Diag** Pics [Re: PC-CHARGER] #997309
05/30/11 10:48 AM
05/30/11 10:48 AM
in a cattle trailer down by th...
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Offline
G

Quote:

My T/A brake does nothing in neutral, as I said it's claimed to have a timed rear band release. After the front clutch is released the rear band can be released anytime before the 1-2 shift. My VB has no 1st gear braking so the valvebody is not applying the rear band, the brake portion is doing it. As I said though I've never really studied it to see how it works, as long as it worked I just wasn't that curious. This episode though has me thinking.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: Wrecked the car today! **Diag** Pics [Re: PC-CHARGER] #997310
05/30/11 10:56 AM
05/30/11 10:56 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Thanks Mike, but this raises yet another question. You say yours is a non LBA valve body with a brake, yet what Stephen pointed out is that if you don't have the band on and you press the brake button with the manual lever in a forward postion, you basically have high gear since the sprag does not hold when both clutches are applied. I believe he is correct but if your valve body is indeed a non LBA with a brake, then I'm not sure what to assume. I thought the T/A units utilized the front clutch as the holding member but maybe not?

In mine you have to have the shifter in low gear for
the brake to work and when you manually have the shifter
in low you are applying the low band if I'm not mistaken

Re: Wrecked the car today! **Diag** Pics [Re: MR_P_BODY] #997311
05/30/11 11:34 AM
05/30/11 11:34 AM
Lehigh Acres, Florida
rickstershemi Offline
master
rickstershemi  Offline
master

Lehigh Acres, Florida
Just thinking out loud, but never having a T/B in a Mopar trans (just the glide)....is there a pro-brake & non-pro-brake offering for Mopars...????

Asking because in the glide....you only need the button for reverse with a pro-brake

Rickster

Re: Wrecked the car today! **Diag** Pics [Re: rickstershemi] #997312
05/30/11 11:42 AM
05/30/11 11:42 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Just thinking out loud, but never having a T/B in a Mopar trans (just the glide)....is there a pro-brake & non-pro-brake offering for Mopars...????

Asking because in the glide....you only need the button for reverse with a pro-brake

Rickster

Sorta... there is a low band apply and a non low
band apply... I run the non low band apply and you
dont need the button BUT to my understanding the low
band apply version you need to hit the button for
reverse... they offer a faster release version also
for the pro tree

Re: Wrecked the car today! **Diag** Pics [Re: MR_P_BODY] #997313
05/30/11 11:55 AM
05/30/11 11:55 AM
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Guitar Jones  Offline
G

There are many different manufacturers offering different valve bodies. The T/A was one of the first to use an internal solenoid release. Early Lamb versions had an external solenoid and didn't work all that well. Supposedly the T/A VB that I have, an early version, is not good for a pro tree. I can however cut .4teen lights with it if I don't use a two step. Otherwise it's a .500 tree brake.

Since then there are many others with various features, Griner, JW, TranzAct, Hipster, TCI and so on.

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
Re: Wrecked the car today! **Diag** Pics [Re: Guitar Jones] #997314
05/30/11 11:59 AM
MB,CAN
PC-CHARGER Offline
super stock
PC-CHARGER  Offline
super stock

MB,CAN
More differences in the makes, models and applications than I had thought. Thanks for all the input. Always learning something here.

Re: Wrecked the car today! **Diag** Pics [Re: Guitar Jones] #997315
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Guitar Jones  Offline
G

BTW the brake I'd like to have would be the clean neutral VB. The shift pattern is P, R/N, (push button for reverse) 1, 2, 3, N. Since I use an automated shifter I'd have to modify that as well as spend the $700 for the V/B. That's not going to happen unless I win the Lottery.

Re: Wrecked the car today! **Diag** Pics [Re: MR_P_BODY] #997316
05/30/11 12:00 PM
05/30/11 12:00 PM
New Lenox IL
cudadon Offline
top fuel
cudadon  Offline
top fuel

New Lenox IL
Quote:

Quote:

Rickster

Mike I had a griner NON LBA TB, and I had to use the button for reverse. Don

Sorta... there is a low band apply and a non low
band apply... I run the non low band apply and you
dont need the button BUT to my understanding the low
band apply version you need to hit the button for
reverse... they offer a faster release version also
for the pro tree

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5