M
maximum entropy Offline
master
maximum entropy  Offline
master
M

organ
Quote:

But when you give it throttle vacuum drops quickly. this is when you are in transision and not enough air is moving past the ventures to give the richness it needs to accelerate. the power valve supplies that fuel needed for the transision no fuel lean = lean ping

Check out the links in my April 18th post and or buy a book!

not true. the lean "hole" is covered by the accelerator pump. when the throttle is opened air rushes in before fuel has a chance to start flowing through the main circuit. the accelerator pump covers that momentary lean spot. the power valve used to be known as an economizer valve. at part throttle, it is closed, keeping the mixture from becoming too rich. when vacuum drops below a preset value, the valve opens to allow more fuel to flow through the main circuit for maximum power. most power valves (holley) have restrictions that are equal to ~8 jet sizes, so the primary jets are ~8 sizes smaller than the secondaries. when the valve is open (low vacuum) fuel in the main circuit (primary side) is flowing through the jets AND the power valve channel restrictions.

for what is the good life if not doing things thoughtfully?
Re: Help me read my plugs [Re: maximum entropy] #974696
04/22/11 08:29 PM
04/22/11 08:29 PM
Cookeville
Chilort Offline OP
Will Work For Mopars
Chilort  Offline OP
Will Work For Mopars

Cookeville
Well, I talked to the engine builder today. I wish he were more of a carb guru but I like him anyway ... alot actually, he's really good at what he does.

Sorry if I express my frustration but I've been messing with this on and off for over a year. I don't mind learning but this has come very slowly. I probably will get a book now that I realize Holley carbs aren't setup to run on Mopars.

Talking to the builder, plus thinking about it on my own, also consulting "the Google," and as Fox has stated, it looks to be the idle mixture that is super lean. Other non-Mopar folks are dealing with the same issue on the Holley 750 on modern gas.

There are a few suggestions and I tried cranking up the idle mixture to test it out somewhat. Sure enough, that does appear to make a big difference. The plugs look a little better too. It still pings somewhat. Too bad I don't have a real 4150 carb where I can adjust the IAB without making lifelong changes to the carb. It also looks like a bigger idle well in the carb makes a difference too so I think I'll see if I can find one of those.

My biggest problem is before the power valve comes into play. I can certainly fix this somewhat with a power valve with a higher number but that isn't the only thing not working here.

Also, I'm having problems under steady load, not under changes. The accelerator pump is working quite well. I'm having trouble on very slight grades where I get into the throttle just a touch and then have to hold it there.

Last edited by Chilort; 04/22/11 08:30 PM.
Re: Help me read my plugs [Re: Chilort] #974697
04/24/11 03:01 PM
04/24/11 03:01 PM
Cookeville
Chilort Offline OP
Will Work For Mopars
Chilort  Offline OP
Will Work For Mopars

Cookeville
I picked up a Quick Fuel primary block yesterday. I took out the 0.028 idle fuel restriction and installed the 0.031 that was in the package. I think I could handle an 0.035. This cleaned up things considerably. I still have ping under steady light load but it is much more subtle and harder to get it to do.

Page 2 of 2 1 2