04/15/11 01:15 PM
04/15/11 01:15 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline OP
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
The GTX lower trim was missing on my new (to me) '69 GTX (see image) and I just got some new (awesome quality) GTX trim and clips from B/E&A (THANKS Mike Ross!!). I got the mounting clips and some are metal and some plastic and I played real smart when I was there at Mike's place like I knew what I was doing and didn't ask for the layout or sequence of the clips for the trim. So now I'm a little too to bother Mike and I also figure that there may be some other members that may want to know how and where the metal and plastic clips go so I'm asking hear (weak/lame reason eh? ).

There are 23 holes down each side on the fender, door and quarter panel (46 total Mike ) and I have eight (8) metal clips and the rest are plastic.......where do the metal clips mount?

Thanks for any help!

Re: '69 GTX Trim; What's the clip layout? some metal clips+ [Re: A12] #973684
04/15/11 01:28 PM
04/15/11 01:28 PM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
I'm going off of memory so don't shoot me.

Ft fender , ft mldgs (the ones kinda behind the ft bumper) 2 on each mldg.
Ft fender, rear mldgs (between the wheel arch and the door )- one each side - ft end by the wheel opening lip
Door mldgs - 1 each side on the rearward end - visibile when you open the door
rear most 1/4 mldgs - 1 each side - forward end next to the wheel opening lip

the 1/4 mldgs between the door and the rear wheel opening I think take all plastic clips.

and just an an FYI - these mldgs are vehicle side specific

Re: '69 GTX Trim; What's the clip layout? some metal clips+ [Re: gtx6970] #973685
04/15/11 01:37 PM
04/15/11 01:37 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline OP
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Quote:

Ft fender, rear mldgs (between the wheel arch and the door )- one each side - ft end by the wheel opening lip

the 1/4 mldgs between the door and the rear wheel opening I think take all plastic clips.

I wouldn't shoot you regardless Bill and I DIDN'T KNOW THEY WERE VEHICLE SIDE SPECIFIC I for sure would have never noticed that until they were already on or most likely NEVER Thanks Bill

MikeR

Re: '69 GTX Trim; What's the clip layout? some metal clips+ [Re: gtx6970] #973686
04/15/11 11:24 PM
04/15/11 11:24 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline OP
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Quote:

Bill, only eight (8) metal clips came with the clip kit and I think I count ten (10) metal clips, do I need two more or can I use just one metal clip each side behind the front bumper and forward of the front wheel opening?

And there are two places on each side that have two holes about 3" apart, would think one of them at that point should have one metal clip???

MikeR

Re: '69 GTX Trim; What's the clip layout? some metal clips+ [Re: A12] #973687
04/16/11 10:57 AM
04/16/11 10:57 AM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
Quote:

Bill, only eight (8) metal clips came with the clip kit and I think I count ten (10) metal clips, do I need two more or can I use just one metal clip each side behind the front bumper and forward of the front wheel opening?
And there are two places on each side that have two holes about 3" apart, would think one of them at that point should have one metal clip???

MikeR

Mike,
metal in place of the plastic one is no problem. or vice-versa for that matter.

I remember the spots that had clips close to each other and if I remembere right they were plastic..

I have a local junkyard that has a 69 GTX in there. I took the mldg's off of it several years ago. But I don't remember if the clips are still there or not. If it ever stops raining I'll run down and see if I can get a few pictures thru all the weeds around it next week.

Re: '69 GTX Trim; What's the clip layout? (((Update))) [Re: gtx6970] #973688
05/27/11 07:53 PM
05/27/11 07:53 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline OP
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Quote:

Quote:

MikeR

Mike,
metal in place of the plastic one is no problem. or vice-versa for that matter.

I remember the spots that had clips close to each other and if I remembere right they were plastic..

I have a local junkyard that has a 69 GTX in there. I took the mldg's off of it several years ago. But I don't remember if the clips are still there or not. If it ever stops raining I'll run down and see if I can get a few pictures thru all the weeds around it next week.

Well I got the GTX trim on my '69 that I got from Mike Ross @ B/E&A (top quality stuff) and everything went on with no problem. I used all plastic "push pin" clips and didn't see a real need for the metal screw on clips with the acorn style cap nuts. Bill pointed out that there are left and right side trim pieces and he was correct. The way you can tell the difference is each trim piece has a half rectangular cutout on one side on the back where it snaps onto the clips. This appears to be a moisture drain or water drain (when raining or washing) so I when I put them toward the bottom every piece had the correct angles at the front and back to match up to the next trim piece (i.e., door to fender straight, fender to wheel opening angled, etc.). So if you just put that notch toward the bottom you have it correct.

On another related note: I got wheel opening trim from Metro in GA and taking my time and using the holes that were in the trim and original fender openings and a couple of needle nose Vise Grips (with tape on them to not scratch the trim or paint) I worked from one center screw hole outwards and they fit PERFECT! I don't know why so many people say they are junk, I had no problem but I did take my time. The wheel opening trim from Metro was in MOPAR - Authentic Restoration plastic bags; good stuff

Here's the GTX and almost finished but not really; they never are

Thanks again guys

MikeR