08/20/03 03:35 AM
08/20/03 03:35 AM
Clarkston,MI
Todd_DesMarais Offline
super street
Todd_DesMarais  Offline
super street

Clarkston,MI
Wize, I'm with you on pre-loading the chassis. I just can't picture the "how to" with a heim setup. (limited scope of vision per se ?) a cage will ultimately make the chassis the most rigid, but the "here and now" was to at least tie the front and rear together.
I was too young to catch the wire car when it was new, but have since found Don's car to be a cool project. It's kinda like mom's cross your heart bra 'eh ??

Vert, A triangle is the strongest shape in nature, especially an equalatteral triangle. that applies to a force exerted to one side. but as for torsional strength, I haven't the brain power to figure it out. In your question, did you mean to make the connectors from triangular stock, or to triangulate the frame (ala rollcage) ??

aduC' 47 IIeredevleB 66 383 etilletaS 66 DTC 0053 MAR 50 "ssenlli latnem a dna ,ybboh a neewteb enil enif a si ereht"
Re: Subframe connectors, which way shoul [Re: Streetwize] #963
08/20/03 10:11 AM
08/20/03 10:11 AM
USA
M
Molloy Offline
master
Molloy  Offline
master
M

USA
Quote:

I merely looking for a way to find lateral tuning (the torque reaction of the MoPar chassis is very well understood already) and limiting/adjusting (for track conditions) torsionally what is already there.

Now I think I understand why you want to use heim joints.

Thanks,
-Molloy

Re: Subframe connectors, which way shoul [Re: Vert] #964
08/20/03 10:13 AM
08/20/03 10:13 AM
USA
M
Molloy Offline
master
Molloy  Offline
master
M

USA
Quote:

My question... anyone try a triangular section for chassis stiffening? I thought it would be the structure with the highest resistance to flexing. I can see difficulties in welding it to a non-flat surface. Any thoughts?

I'm confused again. Triangular cross section for subframe connector tubing?

Re: Subframe connectors, which way shoul [Re: Todd_DesMarais] #965
08/21/03 12:31 AM
08/21/03 12:31 AM
Annapolis, MD, USA
V
Vert Offline
master
Vert  Offline
master
V

Annapolis, MD, USA
Todd,
I meant making the connectors from triangular stock. Twist a rectangle and it flattens and collapses. Twist an I beam and it bends. Twist a triangle and it...? I don't remember seeing a triangle shape twisted or bent. Stiffness A+, Torsional rigidity? Not sure. Any structural engineers in the house?

Re: Subframe connectors, which way shoul [Re: Vert] #966
08/21/03 12:44 AM
08/21/03 12:44 AM
USA
M
Molloy Offline
master
Molloy  Offline
master
M

USA
I see what you're saying about triangular cross section connectors.

The body, as an entire unit, will twist and experience torsional forces. The individual subframe connectors, which are closer to the edge of the body, will likey experience more of a classic bending moment, in which case a rectangular box section will likely be best suited.

My 2 cents.
Molloy

Re: Subframe connectors, which way shoul [Re: Molloy] #967
08/27/03 01:03 PM
08/27/03 01:03 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I see what you're saying about triangular cross section connectors.

The individual subframe connectors, which are closer to the edge of the body, will likey experience more of a classic bending moment, in which case a rectangular box section will likely be best suited.

I'm way late chiming in here and I apologize for that, but I want to step up in support of Malloy's opinion.

I believe he has it right when he says that the sub frame connectors primarily experince a bending moment (rather than torsion). The further out from from the driveshaft the connectors are, the more this is true. Think of it this way: take a rectangular piece of sheet metal in your hands and twist it like a car twists when you get on the gas. See how the two outside edges of the sheet metal bends? Yes, there is a torsional component to that force, but it's primarily a bending moment and square/rectangular tube is great for that.

BTW, the best shape for pure torsional stiffness is a cylinder. Think drive shaft, torsion bars etc.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program

-jr

Re: Subframe connectors, which way shoul #968
08/27/03 01:25 PM
08/27/03 01:25 PM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Offline OP
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Offline OP
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan
I thought this thread had died for good, but since it's on the 1st page again (somehow), here are pics of the finished product. I couldn't be happier with how it came out

Rich

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri

Re: Subframe connectors, which way shoul [Re: ZIPPY] #969
08/27/03 05:35 PM
08/27/03 05:35 PM
Answering the call of the wild
T
ThermoQuad Offline
top fuel
ThermoQuad  Offline
top fuel
T

Answering the call of the wild
great thread!

Now for the monkey wrench...how would you install subframe connectors in an AAR or T/A with side exhaust? Cutting into the floor pan is not a problem.

Re: Subframe connectors, which way shoul [Re: ThermoQuad] #970
08/27/03 10:04 PM
08/27/03 10:04 PM
USA
M
Molloy Offline
master
Molloy  Offline
master
M

USA
The connectors should not hang down much below the crimped edge of the rocker panel. In that case I'd think that a slightly ovalized exhaust would be the ticket. Besides, when has a low exhaust or deep oil pan (w/little clearance) stopped us from tearing-up the streets?

Zippy: Looks just like mine!
May want to think about tying the connector to the seat mounts. I mean they're RIGHT THERE. All you need is an "L" shaped piece of metal. You can get that from left over connector tubing. That way the connector is more positively tied to the rocker.

Re: Subframe connectors, which way shoul #971
09/02/03 06:54 PM
09/02/03 06:54 PM
Melbourne Australia
R
RedCharger Offline
RedCharger  Offline
R

Melbourne Australia
I have a further question regarding welding in subframe connectors, I am soon to weld them into my Charger and two separate people have told me that the welds should not run the whole length of the subframe connector it should be 2 Inches of weld then a two inch space of no weld. Apparently when people now seam weld race cars they do this also and it is better than a solid weld. What do people think ? I am interested in any comments.
Thanks,
Mike

Re: Subframe connectors, which way shoul [Re: RedCharger] #972
09/02/03 07:26 PM
09/02/03 07:26 PM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Offline OP
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Offline OP
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan
Don't sanctioning body rules state they want the floor pan completely welded to the connector? I believe they do here in the states anyway.....

Molloy, yep that is a good idea and I see the potential. It will probably have to wait until later though, probably at whatever time outriggers get added/cage goes in/mount for the seat belt crotch strap gets welded to the connector. It will probably happen but later down the road.

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri

Re: Subframe connectors, which way shoul [Re: RedCharger] #973
09/02/03 09:16 PM
09/02/03 09:16 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

two separate people have told me that the welds should not run the whole length of the subframe connector it should be 2 Inches of weld then a two inch space of no weld. Apparently when people now seam weld race cars they do this also and it is better than a solid weld. What do people think ?

It may be "better" because it's (marginally) lighter....or causes less distortion....or because it's strong enough....who knows. One thing is for sure though....for a given size (cross sectional area) stitch welds are NOT stronger than full welds. BTW, aren't you worried about exhaust fumes?

-jeff

Re: Subframe connectors, which way shoul #974
09/02/03 11:38 PM
09/02/03 11:38 PM
Wild West
M_D Offline
pro stock
M_D  Offline
pro stock

Wild West
Quote:

Quote:

two separate people have told me that the welds should not run the whole length of the subframe connector it should be 2 Inches of weld then a two inch space of no weld. Apparently when people now seam weld race cars they do this also and it is better than a solid weld. What do people think ?

It may be "better" because it's (marginally) lighter....or causes less distortion....or because it's strong enough....who knows. One thing is for sure though....for a given size (cross sectional area) stitch welds are NOT stronger than full welds. BTW, aren't you worried about exhaust fumes?

-jeff

I second what rank said. In my opinion, on this type of the job stitch welding first and the then filling that in (if desired) would better than welding it solidly in a single continuous pass. The reason is that it somewhat controls heat inducted distortion. On sheet metal, I will usually use a bunch of small tack welds on the whole area first for that reason. The lighter sheet metal with less mass tends to heat up quicker and thus expand or distort more than a heavier piece does.

Re: Subframe connectors, which way shoul [Re: M_D] #975
09/03/03 12:01 AM
09/03/03 12:01 AM
Melbourne Australia
R
RedCharger Offline
RedCharger  Offline
R

Melbourne Australia
Yeah I think will run the welds down the whole length of the rails. I am not worried about the exhaust cause I have made a template to follow the floor and I will trim the rails with a plasma cutter to match so I am not actually cutting the floor. I was going to get a mate to weld it with a Tig anyone use a Tig to weld them in ?
Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by RedCharger; 09/03/03 12:02 AM.
Re: Subframe connectors, which way shoul [Re: RedCharger] #976
09/03/03 12:42 AM
09/03/03 12:42 AM
Clarkston,MI
Todd_DesMarais Offline
super street
Todd_DesMarais  Offline
super street

Clarkston,MI
Redcharger, if you cut the connector to match the floor contour, you will be loosing a good deal of the structural rigidity that a box section gives. I understand if you don't want to cut the floorpan, as I don't want to touch my pans in my cuda either. another option is to let them hang just below the pan, and angle the rear up to the frame rail.

as for welding, a proper weld is stronger than the two metals it adjoins. the best way to weld sheet metal is to "stitch weld" it. this doesn't mean leaving spaces, but to weld an inch skip an inch and so on. then go back and weld the skipped areas. the other option is to do as stated above, spot weld (small weld puddles) down the length, then fill the whole seam in.

what car are you working on? we have quite a few pics of Rich's b-body if you want 'em.

Todd

aduC' 47 IIeredevleB 66 383 etilletaS 66 DTC 0053 MAR 50 "ssenlli latnem a dna ,ybboh a neewteb enil enif a si ereht"
Re: Subframe connectors, which way shoul [Re: Todd_DesMarais] #977
09/03/03 02:38 AM
09/03/03 02:38 AM
Melbourne Australia
R
RedCharger Offline
RedCharger  Offline
R

Melbourne Australia
Hi Todd,
Thanks for explaining the stitch welding it all make sense now. The car is an Aussie Charger it appears the same as a US A body.
Cheers,
Mike

Re: Subframe connectors, which way shoul [Re: ZIPPY] #978
09/03/03 04:26 AM
09/03/03 04:26 AM
Gettysburg Pa
R
roadrunnerreds Offline
mopar
roadrunnerreds  Offline
mopar
R

Gettysburg Pa
so let me get this straight Zippy.you have some of your 2x3 frame connectors going through the trany crossmember and then overlapping your rear frame rails or our they inside the rear frame rails?also the 3 inch side is standing up?Brad

Re: Subframe connectors, which way shoul [Re: roadrunnerreds] #979
09/03/03 09:26 AM
09/03/03 09:26 AM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Offline OP
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Offline OP
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan
Brad, the 3" section is vertical.

The rear frame rails were opened at the end and had 5x9/16" or so holes drilled in each side (for a total of 20 holes).
The SF connectors were slid inside the frame rails, welded at the open end, then each of the 20 holes were also welded to close them and attach the connector to the frame rail on three sides.
There is nothing to attach them to at the top side, which again helps make the case for running them through the floor.

At the front, the connector is first welded to a flat plate which is then welded to the trans crossmember.

For a 69 B body you need two 4 foot (even) sections of .083 wall 2x43 tubing to make them, and the connectors themselves don't need any more work to fit, other than welding a plate to the front.
Rich

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri

Re: Subframe connectors, which way should we [Re: ZIPPY] #980
11/06/03 10:44 AM
11/06/03 10:44 AM
The Dark Side
Fasbird Offline
master
Fasbird  Offline
master

The Dark Side