02/25/11 06:46 PM
02/25/11 06:46 PM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline OP
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline OP
super stock

detroit, mi
I am looking at the a-1000 stealth cell full return setup and bypass regulator for my 408 powered street/ strip truck.

Good? Bad? Ugly?

I notice they also want me to buy a speed controller?
What's up with that?

Is anyone running something like this on their carbed n/a mostly street driven vehicle? I want reliability, as I plan on going on some roadtrips...

It seems like a nice quality fuel system and would be a clean installation, but I would like to hear experiences ot anything anyone has to offer.

Thanks!

Re: A-1000 pump on street car? [Re: POS Dakota] #937448
02/25/11 09:17 PM
02/25/11 09:17 PM
new berlin wisconsin
M
Mr T2U Offline
master
Mr T2U  Offline
master
M

new berlin wisconsin
Quote:

I am looking at the a-1000 stealth cell full return setup and bypass regulator for my 408 powered street/ strip truck.

Good? Bad? Ugly?

What's up with that?

Is anyone running something like this on their carbed n/a mostly street driven vehicle? I want reliability, as I plan on going on some roadtrips...

It seems like a nice quality fuel system and would be a clean installation, but I would like to hear experiences ot anything anyone has to offer.

Thanks!

if you mean the aeromotive a-100 fuel pump. i have one on my 572 hemi 72 road rummer.
i have about 50,000 trouble free miles on my pump over 15 years time.
my pump is externally mounted near where the pinion snubber hits the floor. i run 10 an feed and return lines. i also run a variable voltage relay box, high and low settings, made by barry grant. my car has a carb.

perception is 90% of reality
Re: A-1000 pump on street car? [Re: Mr T2U] #937449
02/25/11 09:33 PM
02/25/11 09:33 PM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline OP
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline OP
super stock

detroit, mi
A-1000 pump. Yep.
This one is mounted inside the 15 gallon aluminum fuel cell though.

I would imagine the guts are the same.
I'm wondering if this pump can heat up the fuel in situations where the capacity is small...pump's gotta put off some heat.

Maybe I should go with the 20 gallon instead?

Re: A-1000 pump on street car? [Re: POS Dakota] #937450
02/25/11 09:49 PM
02/25/11 09:49 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
I went with the 20 gal since it was very little more money. I also used the BG controller simply because it was the cheapest one I could find. But I can't tell you how it will all work 'cause I don't have the car on the street yet.

Master, again and still
Re: A-1000 pump on street car? [Re: DaveRS23] #937451
02/25/11 10:19 PM
02/25/11 10:19 PM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline OP
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline OP
super stock

detroit, mi
Quote:

I went with the 20 gal since it was very little more money. I also used the BG controller simply because it was the cheapest one I could find. But I can't tell you how it will all work 'cause I don't have the car on the street yet.

Why do you need the controller?
That's what I'm mainly curious about...does the pump suffer at a full 12 volts?

Re: A-1000 pump on street car? [Re: POS Dakota] #937452
02/25/11 10:37 PM
02/25/11 10:37 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
For me, I didn't really want to go with the A-1000. It is just more pump than I think I will need. But, it was the only cell with a built-in pump I could find.

For the street, my car will probably need only a small fraction of the pump's output, but it still needs good flow through it to cool and lubricate it. That would mean a lot of fuel circling the circuit.

Slowing the pump down just seems like the way to go. But it must be dome with pulse width modulation not by lowering the voltage. So, the BG controller.

Master, again and still
Re: A-1000 pump on street car? [Re: POS Dakota] #937453
02/25/11 10:43 PM
02/25/11 10:43 PM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
Quote:

Quote:

Why do you need the controller?
That's what I'm mainly curious about...does the pump suffer at a full 12 volts?

The pump can take extended run time at full voltage as long as the fuel is cool enough and the fuel supply to the pump is low restriction to prevent cavitation. The controller reduces heat generation when full flow isn't needed to keep fuel cooler, reduces cavitation if the supply pipe is marginal and reduces noise.

Re: A-1000 pump on street car? [Re: ahy] #937454
02/25/11 11:07 PM
02/25/11 11:07 PM
QLD Australia
Keith Black® Offline
pro stock
Keith Black®  Offline
pro stock

QLD Australia
I'm planning to run 2 x A1000 pumps (staged, primary is speed controlled):

--------------------------------
Darren Beale
Keith Black Racing Engines®
Re: A-1000 pump on street car? [Re: Keith Black®] #937455
02/25/11 11:08 PM
02/25/11 11:08 PM
QLD Australia
Keith Black® Offline
pro stock
Keith Black®  Offline
pro stock

QLD Australia
submersed into (modified) standard tank:

6496709-FuelTank-2.jpg (45 downloads)

--------------------------------
Darren Beale
Keith Black Racing Engines®
Re: A-1000 pump on street car? [Re: POS Dakota] #937456
02/25/11 11:09 PM
02/25/11 11:09 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
I have an A1000 and using the controller for it as well...

At idle it slows the pump down as mentioned..it is fully adjustable when you want it to ramp up to full speed as well.

Only been up and down the street a few times with the car, but it is close (super duper close) to being totally done and will be doing some miles in it so will see how well the combo does with lots of driving around on it

Re: A-1000 pump on street car? [Re: OzHemi] #937457
02/25/11 11:33 PM
02/25/11 11:33 PM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline OP
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline OP
super stock

detroit, mi
Quote:

At idle it slows the pump down as mentioned..it is fully adjustable when you want it to ramp up to full speed as well.

Only been up and down the street a few times with the car, but it is close (super duper close) to being totally done and will be doing some miles in it so will see how well the combo does with lots of driving around on it

why is it necessary to slow the pump at idle?
This is what I dont know.

Re: A-1000 pump on street car? [Re: POS Dakota] #937458
02/25/11 11:36 PM
02/25/11 11:36 PM
Springfield, MO
S
Steve88 Offline
Steve88  Offline
S

Springfield, MO
I am not a fan of the A1000. A friend of mine has a twin turbo LSx 66 Nova that made 1000rwhp(black primered one featured in Car Craft) and he used a A1000 the first time. He drove the car on the Power Tour and had to stop numerous times because the pump kept over heating. In all fairness he was not running a controller but he replaced the A1000 with a Weldon pump with no other changes and it has been trouble free for 40k miles with numerous Power Tour Long Hauls and is much less noisey. The Areomotive set up is pretty pricey and you could get a custom stainless tank with a pair of Walbros in tank pumps cheaper and be more dependable. There are low 9 second full wieght cars running two Walbro 255's and they only cost $110 a piece and are extremely dependable and no controller required. Or if you want a cell just buy the cell and use two external Walbro 255's and you will save yourself $300 or $400 with no loss in performance or you could have the cell modded for in-tank pumps and go that route. I think it likely comes down to how much you drive the car. If you never go on long trips then overheating pumps of any sort is not a big concern but if you like to drive a lot its something to keep in mind.

Re: A-1000 pump on street car? [Re: Steve88] #937459
02/25/11 11:56 PM
02/25/11 11:56 PM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline OP
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline OP
super stock

detroit, mi
Quote:

I am not a fan of the A1000. A friend of mine has a twin turbo LSx 66 Nova that made 1000rwhp(black primered one featured in Car Craft) and he used a A1000 the first time. He drove the car on the Power Tour and had to stop numerous times because the pump kept over heating. In all fairness he was not running a controller but he replaced the A1000 with a Weldon pump with no other changes and it has been trouble free for 40k miles with numerous Power Tour Long Hauls and is much less noisey. The Areomotive set up is pretty pricey and you could get a custom stainless tank with a pair of Walbros in tank pumps cheaper and be more dependable. There are low 9 second full wieght cars running two Walbro 255's and they only cost $110 a piece and are extremely dependable and no controller required. Or if you want a cell just buy the cell and use two external Walbro 255's and you will save yourself $300 or $400 with no loss in performance or you could have the cell modded for in-tank pumps and go that route. I think it likely comes down to how much you drive the car. If you never go on long trips then overheating pumps of any sort is not a big concern but if you like to drive a lot its something to keep in mind.

Good info and points! I had several ideas, but settled on this one.
This is one of the few times I have heard of this. But I could see it happening 100 miles into a trip with 6 gallons circulating around.

What size was his cell?
I ordered the 20 gallon aeromotive aluminum stealth cell with internal a-1000.

This is going into a dakota mounted in the bed.

I will be driving it around a lot locally, but will also take it on long trips occasionally.

As far as a controller goes...I definitely will not be using 3/4 of the pump's capability. This will be a 408 with occasional nitrous use. So what if I were to use some type of rheostat mounted under the hood and slow it down to I dunno...say 3/4 all the time?

I figure if I could slow it down a certain amount all the time with a simple tweak of a knob, as long as I maintain the desired fuel pressure at WOT, I'm good. Right? I think the controller form aeromotive is like 300 bucks...ouch!

I would have bought something smaller, but I wanted room to grow.
I figured I'd just get it over with.

Re: A-1000 pump on street car? [Re: POS Dakota] #937460
02/26/11 12:06 AM
02/26/11 12:06 AM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
Quote:

Quote:

why is it necessary to slow the pump at idle?
This is what I dont know.

It just saves pumping it up to the engine and returning most of it by running at full volume at low rpm when the engine is not using as much fuel....is what I gathered. Keeps the fuel cooler that was as well I believe.

Re: A-1000 pump on street car? [Re: OzHemi] #937461
02/26/11 12:19 AM
02/26/11 12:19 AM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline OP
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline OP
super stock

detroit, mi
Yeah, I'm reading a review on the controller right now.
It makes sense...gonna read some more.

I'll have to see how it works for me now before I draw a conclusion regardless. Drive it around and take temp measurements every so often....

Re: A-1000 pump on street car? [Re: POS Dakota] #937462
02/26/11 12:21 AM
02/26/11 12:21 AM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
Quote:

Quote:

This is one of the few times I have heard of this. But I could see it happening 100 miles into a trip with 6 gallons circulating around.

What size was his cell?

I will be driving it around a lot locally, but will also take it on long trips occasionally.

As far as a controller goes...I definitely will not be using 3/4 of the pump's capability. This will be a 408 with occasional nitrous use. So what if I were to use some type of rheostat mounted under the hood and slow it down to I dunno...say 3/4 all the time?

I figure if I could slow it down a certain amount all the time with a simple tweak of a knob, as long as I maintain the desired fuel pressure at WOT, I'm good. Right? I think the controller form aeromotive is like 300 bucks...ouch!

A 20 gallon aluminum cell with internal A1000 shouldn't have cavitation or heating problems at all. The 20 gallon cell will act like a big radiator. In tank cuts way down on noise also. I'd just run it w/o controller.

The controllers don't simply cut voltage; they interrupt power briefly, on and off. Simply cutting the voltage can cause the pump motor to run hot.

Re: A-1000 pump on street car? [Re: Mr T2U] #937463
02/26/11 12:22 AM
02/26/11 12:22 AM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline OP
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline OP
super stock

detroit, mi
Quote:

Quote:

Good? Bad? Ugly?

What's up with that?

Thanks!

if you mean the aeromotive a-100 fuel pump. i have one on my 572 hemi 72 road rummer.
i have about 50,000 trouble free miles on my pump over 15 years time.
my pump is externally mounted near where the pinion snubber hits the floor. i run 10 an feed and return lines. i also run a variable voltage relay box, high and low settings, made by barry grant. my car has a carb.

I'm going to look into the barry grant controller too.
I am also running a carb.

Re: A-1000 pump on street car? [Re: ahy] #937464
02/26/11 12:38 AM
02/26/11 12:38 AM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What size was his cell?

A 20 gallon aluminum cell with internal A1000 shouldn't have cavitation or heating problems at all. The 20 gallon cell will act like a big radiator. In tank cuts way down on noise also. I'd just run it w/o controller.

The controllers don't simply cut voltage; they interrupt power briefly, on and off. Simply cutting the voltage can cause the pump motor to run hot.

I have a 32 gallon tank actually....not that I'll be able to afford to fill it the way things are going

Re: A-1000 pump on street car? [Re: OzHemi] #937465
02/26/11 12:50 AM
02/26/11 12:50 AM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline OP
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline OP
super stock

detroit, mi
OH!!!! That car!
I was trying to figure that out. haha
Yeah, looks like you have a bit of fuel tank back there...

Very nice car by the way.

Re: A-1000 pump on street car? [Re: POS Dakota] #937466
02/26/11 01:03 AM
02/26/11 01:03 AM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
Thank you

I talked to the Aeromotive guys at SEMA while I was building the car and asked them about the controller...if I needed or not with such a large tank and all.

I said I was going to be doing alot of street driving and stop and go with it (along with long trips,etc,etc) and pretty much they said I might be able to get away without it because of the large volume of fuel, but it would still be recommended to just save the pump from doing extra work when not needed (as when just idling around) with the engine still being near stock at the moment as well.

So I decided to go with the controller...just in case perhaps

I tried to build the fuel system with future engine upgrades in mind, so this seemed like the best way to go...perfect for the engine how it is now, and will be able to keep up with I do some heads and a cam eventually.

Page 1 of 2 1 2